General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Clacking Noise

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2009, 12:33 PM
Default Clacking Noise

I have a new 2010 Camry XLE V6 with only 2,400 miles on it. In the mornings, there is a slight "clacking" or "tappet" noise coming from the engine. It only lasts for one or two minutes until it is warmed-up. I started to notice it as the weather began to cool down. Is this normal or should there be concern? This is my first brand-new car and I am slightly worried.

Old 10-26-2009, 10:42 PM

This engine uses a 3 chain valvetrain that is generally fairly noisy. If the oil level and condition is good- this is likely the normal sound of this engine. If you want peace of mind- take it in to your local dealership and have them do a side by side comparison with another similar model on the lot. You will find that this is normal valvetrain noise for this engine.

JJ

Old 10-27-2009, 06:50 AM
Default Thank You

The oil level and color are both okay. Your reply was enough to put my mind at ease. Thank you for taking the time to post a reply to my question. I switched to Toyota from Honda after a 2002 Accord transmission nightmare. After dealing with that piece of s**t and a lot of money spent, I was a little worried when I began to hear an engine noise in my Camry. Thanks again!

Old 10-27-2009, 12:33 PM
Default Cold 3.5L engine noise is NOT normal

Originally Posted by mikeboston
The oil level and color are both okay. Your reply was enough to put my mind at ease. Thank you for taking the time to post a reply to my question. I switched to Toyota from Honda after a 2002 Accord transmission nightmare. After dealing with that piece of s**t and a lot of money spent, I was a little worried when I began to hear an engine noise in my Camry. Thanks again!
My 2009 LE V6 with 13,000 miles has NEVER made any audible cold start noise whatsoever. Other than the idle speed being ramped up, it sounds the same as when the engine is started when already at normal operating temperature.

Your engine is the same as a Lexus ES350. Go to the following cold weather morning start link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ELt5tM3UGA

The motor in that video sounds exactly the same as mine when started cold.

Just curious - Is the noise you hear audible outside of the car? Or are you hearing it coming from the engine with your door shut and windows up?

There are posts around the net in Lexus forums where a few people say they get significant "clatter" which is not normal.

Video of Lexus ES350 "diesel" engine noise

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/es35...ine-noise.html