General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

convert 08 ce manual to auto?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2013, 12:57 PM
Default convert 08 ce manual to auto?

I have an 08 camry ce manual and my transmission is going out. Apparently this transmission is garbage because Toyota replaced it under warranty twice already. Its well past its warranty and Toyota wants full price to replace this crappy transmission. I don't wanna pay an arm and a leg for the same crappy trans and want to convert it to automatic. I'm pretty confident I can do it myself but was wondering if anyone else here has done it before and if you have any advice to share. I've priced used autos and they're not too bad just wondering what else I'll need besides the obvious parts and any possible problems I'll run into.

Old 11-03-2013, 06:42 PM
Super Moderator

If changing from a stick to auto suggest finding a donor car of the same year having an auto.

Additional parts are the engine,trans and shift lock computers, instrument console and maybe axles which could be slightly longer. If the car has ABS or VSC, the trans ties into this system. You will also need the wiring harness. A lot of wiring to various systems, junction boxes, etc. This is the reason to have the donor car next to your car when doing the job or getting a wiring diagram/shop manual and stripping out every part and wire you'll need from it.

Is the trans toast or can it be rebuilt? Manuals are reasonably easy to work on. Might consider rebuilding the trans or finding a replacement then selling the car.

The Scion and a few other Toyota may use the same trans. The model should be listed on a sticker on the car typically drivers side door.

Old 11-04-2013, 07:28 AM

Geez sounds like alot more work than I thought, major difference from working on classics which I know pretty well. Sounds like my best bet is to just rebuild it. Thanks for the info greatly appreciated.

Old 11-04-2013, 08:37 PM
Super Moderator

The classics were a piece of cake compared to today's cars. Rebuilding would be the best option.