General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Coolant leak

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2015, 10:03 PM
Default Coolant leak

Recently got a 92 Camry 2.2 w/ 54,000 miles. Runs smooth, did usual maintenance of oil pan seal,valve cover seal...plugs etc...new radiator. Had a new timing belt,water pump and seals inside redone at a local garage. After the water pump, there was a leak- redid gasket and no leak at seam on pump. However now there is a coolant leak somewhere in the area of the timing cover but I can't see it anywhere. It's dripping onto the crossmember on the passenger side under the timing cover but like I said I can't see the exact location. Also I put in new hoses-thermostats-thermostat housing. Any help would be appreciated...

Old 11-25-2015, 04:40 AM

passenger side humm

these engines have zero tolerance for overheating

and the garage re did the water pump and gasket (big job runs off the timing belt )

lots of places to leak around that timing cover (see pic)

how much coolant would you say you are loosing

think you may have sprung another leak behind the cover (not sure

might be a gasket or an O ring

no welsh plugs above the leak

check any hose clamps

Is this like your set up

Name:  2010-06-25_122922_1.gif
Views: 6743
Size:  22.9 KB

Last edited by dirty hands; 11-25-2015 at 03:46 PM.
Old 11-26-2015, 01:12 AM

Thanks for the reply. I have a 1992 2.2 4 cylinder 5SFE... I replaced the upper and lower radiator hoses-thermostat housing/thermostat. I don't see any leaks at connections from above.From below, I can't pinpoint any dripping other than it seems to be from the passenger side . Seems to drip onto the frame and down. It seems to only start dripping after a drive when the thermostat opens up and the coolant is circulating ( if that makes any sense?).

Old 11-26-2015, 03:05 AM

yes it does
getting closer to a possible cause and solution

if we can cross off any possible leak behind the timing cover then it gets easier

lay some cardboard under the car as it leaks
mark some vehicle bits you recognize ..sort of land marks
then back the car up ....try and better guess the leaks location that way

do you have a smallish mirror or a selfie stick maybe

other wise the passenger tyre off ... engine hot ........ might give you a better view

any coolant on the lower side of that water inlet housing ?

or lower side water bypass pipe where there is a gasket and 0 ring ?

how much sealant did you use and which type on the water inlet housing and gasket

every mating gasket /0 ring surfaces to flat surface must be totally cleaned of old sealant and gasket muck

especially around the bases of any holding studs

Last edited by dirty hands; 11-27-2015 at 02:03 PM.
Old 11-27-2015, 06:40 AM

Thanks I appreciate your time-
I'll do as you advised, run car up to temperature then place cardboard under and give you some locations where coolant is dripping. Also I'll pull the passenger tire and try to get a better look at the lower timing cover to check or eliminate that. When I replaced the thermostat housing I did not use any gasket sealant as I thought the thermostat gasket was what was to seal the housing to the block. It is not leaking there and is dry. ( so far, knock on wood haha).I'll get back after I try what you suggested.

Old 11-27-2015, 04:23 PM

Thanks a lot Dirty Hands,
I was so sure I'd tightened the water intake line since I changed out the hoses, but checking further there was a small leak under the hose onto the compressor...eyes are getting old and tired...thanks for the advice to double check. Went on a short drive- the test at opened and fans went on and so far so good!!! Now on to the heater core...its 24 years old, but car only has 50000... So leaks are to be expected. Any suggestions on what to go over that I haven't. Hope to make this my third vehicle to take every day driving off my truck and 08 mustang GT...

Old 11-27-2015, 08:13 PM

keep to the recommended servicing intervals and the camry should be very reliable

Last edited by dirty hands; 11-28-2015 at 01:49 AM.