General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Delayed start?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2006, 07:58 PM
Default Delayed start?

Hey there guys, my 95 V6 just developed an odd little quirk. This is the second time its happened too. Every once in a blue moon, it just wont start for a few seconds. Turn the key, all the electricals come on, but you have to wait a few seconds otherwise it absolutely does NOT crank. Just dead silence, save for the dingers, radio, and power antenna. After 2-3 seconds, you can turn the key and it fires up as usual... and I'm at a complete loss as to what could cause this... it doesnt really bother me but I WOULD like to know what it is, incase it can / is going to get worse or cause a no start one of these days. Thanks!

Old 10-02-2006, 04:38 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Delayed start?

This somewhat sounds like what happened to my car. Every now and then my car wouldnt start, and i would have to wait it seems like for it to turn. It didnt really bother me much, but i ended up getting it looked at. i got a diagnostic ran on my car and it was my idle control valve that was the problem, it needed replacement, and it seems thats the only way for it to be fixed. A common problem with these is a sticking air valve which can be cleaned with carburettor cleaner to make the mechanism work freely again. But
once the ICV becomes VERY worn, it will typically cause the car to stall. The only solution is replacement. After i got mine replaced i didnt have that problem anymore.

Old 10-02-2006, 02:42 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Delayed start?

It could also be the solenoid in the starter sticking its a long shot but, its possiable