General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Driver side window rolls up but takes forever

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2007, 06:45 PM
Default Driver side window rolls up but takes forever

Hi guys and girls, just so ya know, I looked at over 30 pages searching for a problem similar to mine. I wouldn't want to start a thread on a problem that was addressed a few pages back. I did finda thread with the same issue but there was no responses, I'm hoping for better luck.

I own a 1999 Camry LE, the problem is that the driver side window sometimes (95% of the time) will not roll up all the way. Every other window will roll up with no problems. The driver side is the problem. Almost every time the window will roll a few inches and then quit. I can hear what I think is the motor whine, and then stop. This never happens when the window is being rolled down, just on the way up. The window will roll up eventually, sometimes it makes an inch of progress and stops, other times it rolls completely up right away.

I am thinking this could be one of three things: motor, regulator, or window track. Thats where my question is, which one and is there a quick fix?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Old 07-04-2007, 07:16 PM
Default RE: Driver side window rolls up but takes forever

I just replaced my driver's side motor/regulator, it was doing the same thing on my 99, would roll up a few inches at a time, then stop. You can get both together for around $80, and then your in business.

Old 07-05-2007, 09:15 PM

It certainly could be a bad regulator. But before you replace anything, spray the tracks with silicone spray. If that helps at all, then you can probably rule out a bad regulator.

Old 07-07-2007, 11:17 AM

Motor822 and RickMN, thanks for your advice, it's really appreciated. I am going to try the silicone first and then themotor/regulator as a last resort. I will definitely let you guys know what happens. Thanks again.

Old 01-06-2009, 10:22 PM

Hi, I just replaced a tired drivers door window motor with the drivers side rear window motor, on a 1998 camry.
I don't think the back windows are used near as much. When i say replaced I should say switched. The tired motor is now in the back door ,drivers side. The drivers window works great now , I lubed both regulators but the tired motor (now in the back) is still slow, but no longer a problem!

Old 01-10-2009, 05:31 PM

I went through this last year on my son's 1996 Audi A4. If the problem is in the Bowden cable rather than the motor, if you let it go long enough, the cable will eventually snap, and you will be unable to raise the window. I don't know how Toyota mounts the regulator assembly, but VW/Audi uses steel pop rivets, which I drilled out and replaced with aluminum ones. It is not a difficult job, but take some care in aligning the new regulator assembly when you install it.

Old 01-11-2009, 10:00 PM

my windows go up slow, if i am trying to roll them all up together, and the driver goe slow all the time... i have a 95 camry. i dont know what the problem is though.