General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 08-28-2015, 11:09 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Intake and Exhaust System
Print Wikipost

Egr valve passage cleaning

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2010, 12:37 PM
Super Moderator

When the VSV is not turned on (powered by 12V), air should flow between the west plug and north plug.

When the VSV is powered by 12V, air should not flow between these 2 plugs. Air should now be flowing between the filter and the north plug.

When connecting the VSV plugs to the vacuum hoses.

The North plug goes to the actually EGR valve.

The West plug goes to EGR modulator valve. This looks like a can mounted next to the EGR valve.

When the VSV valve is powered by 12V, the hose going to the EGR modulator valve is vented to the air by the filter. This venting disables the EGR system.

When the VSV valve is not powered by 12V, vacuum is allowed through the valve to the EGR modulator valve. This allows the EGR system to now operate.

Old 09-09-2010, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by toyomoho
When the VSV is not turned on (powered by 12V), air should flow between the west plug and north plug.

When the VSV is powered by 12V, air should not flow between these 2 plugs. Air should now be flowing between the filter and the north plug.

When connecting the VSV plugs to the vacuum hoses.

The North plug goes to the actually EGR valve.

The West plug goes to EGR modulator valve. This looks like a can mounted next to the EGR valve.

When the VSV valve is powered by 12V, the hose going to the EGR modulator valve is vented to the air by the filter. This venting disables the EGR system.

When the VSV valve is not powered by 12V, vacuum is allowed through the valve to the EGR modulator valve. This allows the EGR system to now operate.

lol..that's basically what I said. I get airflow thru both sides with bubble test powered or not. I'm only talking about the north and west facing air ports not the port with round filter on it.

Old 09-09-2010, 06:17 PM
Super Moderator

One test for a plugged EGR valve is, with engine idling remove the hose going to the EGR valve and apply vacuum. This will open the EGR valve. If the EGR system is clear exhaust will be routed into the intake causing the engine to run rough or die.

Old 09-10-2010, 10:35 AM
Question

One test for a plugged EGR valve is, with engine idling remove the hose going to the EGR valve and apply vacuum. This will open the EGR valve. If the EGR system is clear exhaust will be routed into the intake causing the engine to run rough or die.
What's an option that cost effective to get something to apply vacuum? rather a machine or use of personal air...i/e like applying air into a vacuum tube via my mouth?

Basically I'm trying not to have to spend, spend, spend....I tried to weed out possibilities:
1. Replaced EGR
2. Tested the VSV on and off to see if air passes thru the important ports.

At this point I'm waiting to get a used VSV from a junkyard.
My plate sticker is required by end of 10/2010

I think my friend is exhausted with trial and error already so I need to find resolution quick.

Last edited by c32used; 09-10-2010 at 10:42 AM.
Old 09-19-2010, 09:26 PM
Default EGR P0401 error - emissions

So, I have read the forum on EGR system fixes on 1996 4 cyl Camry. I've removed hoses and started to clean. I had the larger hose between the EGR and modulator off during idle and it is blowing air out of the egr. Is this normal?
Mike

Old 09-19-2010, 10:16 PM

I used one of the short hoses going to the modulator to maniually (by mouth) create vacuum on the EGR. It works without much force.

Old 09-20-2010, 12:06 PM
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by mdiede
I used one of the short hoses going to the modulator to maniually (by mouth) create vacuum on the EGR. It works without much force.

TY I'll try today

Old 09-20-2010, 06:33 PM
Default wat does?

wat does putting a filter instead of a ccv do to the performance of the car?

Old 09-21-2010, 08:55 AM
Question

Originally Posted by bbb54321
wat does putting a filter instead of a ccv do to the performance of the car?

What'a a CCV? Also any discounted tickets to HIN-Chicago this weekend?

Old 09-21-2010, 02:47 PM
Thumbs up

I finally just performed this test and during applying vacuum the engine while idling started to quickly run rough pretty sure with continued vacuum the engine would have stalled all together. So basically that clears I believe the EGR so it's goes to the VSV again which I'm pondering getting new...since the junkyards are limited on the V6 Camry. I still have time.

Quick Reply: Egr valve passage cleaning