General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Old 08-28-2015, 11:09 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Intake and Exhaust System
Print Wikipost

Egr valve passage cleaning

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2010, 02:49 PM
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by mdiede
I used one of the short hoses going to the modulator to maniually (by mouth) create vacuum on the EGR. It works without much force.

Thanks worked great!

Old 09-22-2010, 02:36 AM

Originally Posted by c32used
What'a a CCV? Also any discounted tickets to HIN-Chicago this weekend?

Its basicly a pcv system just runs the opposite direction valve so instead of positive crankcase vent its just crankcase vent so my train of thought is less pressure is more power

And yes on the website link there should be an add of a 5 dollar off to it using the coupon code I usually post links to discounts for the car shows on the site so just keep ur eye out and use the current coupon code on the site

Old 09-28-2010, 03:56 PM
Question

Ok I replaced VSV with another same part number..tested it and when powered it won't permit air to pass anyways I reset light and it came back...I had applied vacuum to EGR and engine started running rough which by what I understand signifies the system through the EGR is clear..now let me say I bought car with engine replaced with another identical engine from Japan so EGR system had to be installed on this engine..asking the previous owner the car had no engine light for about 6 months after engine was replaced anyways I'm wondering if maybe some sensor or something was missed..here are some obdii scanner pics if anyone can figure anything that may help please advise.

Attached Thumbnails Egr valve passage cleaning-photo-1.jpg   Egr valve passage cleaning-photo-2.jpg   Egr valve passage cleaning-photo-3.jpg  
Old 09-28-2010, 03:58 PM
Exclamation

Sorry here are pictures straight.

Attached Thumbnails Egr valve passage cleaning-photo-1.jpg   Egr valve passage cleaning-photo-2.jpg   Egr valve passage cleaning-photo-3.jpg  
Old 09-28-2010, 07:40 PM
Super Moderator

The computer does not monitor every sensor.

Was the CEL on when you purchased the car?

Sometimes Japan engine emissions systems are different then US.

Have you reviewed how the EGR system works? The link below has some info on this. Your system may or may not have an exhaust temp sensor on the EGR valve.

http://www.autoshop101.com/forms/h61.pdf

Old 09-30-2010, 12:23 PM
Question

Originally Posted by toyomoho
The computer does not monitor every sensor.

Was the CEL on when you purchased the car?

Sometimes Japan engine emissions systems are different then US.

Have you reviewed how the EGR system works? The link below has some info on this. Your system may or may not have an exhaust temp sensor on the EGR valve.

http://www.autoshop101.com/forms/h61.pdf
Hey buddy I have a 96 V6 and even the Haynes book doesn't exactly specify actual location unless I missed it..can you inform me where the location may be? I stumbled into something that appears to be it while looking thru repair manual is the location there really close to EGR by throttle? It is a plug or part of a plug?

Old 09-30-2010, 12:23 PM

BTW my cel is still P0401

Old 09-30-2010, 12:39 PM
Question

I've done the following thus far...

1. replaced EGR and VSV
2. Did vacuum test on EGR(replacement) it ran rough when vacuum applied, tested VSV(replacement) and when powered it didn't permit air to travel from 2 actual ports used from vacuum hoses coming from EGR modular and other port going to EGR.
3. All hoses look and tested clean that pertain to EGR system.

When I erase codes it seems that no matter my type of driving the code comes up after I take a ride 1 or 2 different times...in most cases after car has been turned off. Now honestly the car is running flawlessly with no burning of anything i/e oil. Like I mentioned before car had engine replaced with Japan engine and like 3 months before I bought it the code appeared...he replaced engine like a year before selling it to me. I heard from a friend that his friend had a similar issue and with a replacement Japan engine in his particular case it was a sensor and as for code he had it's unknown.

Old 09-30-2010, 11:48 PM
Super Moderator

See private message.

Old 10-01-2010, 12:06 AM
Super Moderator

See link for a photo of the EGR temp sensor.

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=1002036

IF the engine has one it would be on the EGR plumbing. The photo below shows the boss it screws into to on the EGR manifold.

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=939878

Your car being a later model may not have one any more, I don't know.

See private message.

Quick Reply: Egr valve passage cleaning