General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Emergency flasher problem

Old 06-06-2014, 12:47 AM
Default Emergency flasher problem

Hello All, I'm new to this forum and I'm having problems with my Moms 1999 Camry. I went to start it and discovered that the battery was totally dead after sitting for a week without starting it. Everything had been turned off after the last drive. When I connected a battery charger to the battery the emergency flashers started to flash even with the emergency flasher switch off. So somehow the emergency flashers activated without turning on the switch and killed the battery. The only wiring diagram that I have is a Haynes and it only goes to a 1991 Camry. Could the problem be with a disabled alarm system? Any help to solving this problem would be appreciated. Thanks.

Old 06-06-2014, 11:45 AM
Super Moderator

Your thinking is the flashers came on and drained the battery? Did pressing the switch a number of times solve the problem? The lights are still flashing?

The flasher unit is located behind the drivers side kick panel. When sitting in drivers seat, take your left foot and move it to the left. What it hits is the kick panel. This panel can be removed by hand without tools. The emergency flasher is the same unit for turn signals. If removed, neither will work.

The emergency flasher switch is the only switch to active them other then an alarm.

Alarms can trigger when the battery is disconnected then reconnected. Most alarms include flashing lights also a horn but it could have been disconnected.

Does the car have an alarm, if so do you know what brand and who installed it, aftermarket DIY installed, factory installed by Toyota, or dealer installed?

Any light on dash, now either steady on or blinking? This is an indication of alarm.

Check the following to aid in determining type of alarm:

The engine will now not turn over when the key turned is to start.

The engine will turn over but will not start.

The engine starts.

For alarms systems to reset alarm:

If having a key FOB close all doors, then lock and unlock doors .

If no FOB, lock and close all doors, then unlock drivers door with key.

If no help, look under dash around steering column for a switch or button. If found, turn ign key to ON, then press button or move switch to reset alarm. If the dash now has a flashing light, press the button again or move switch. Light should become steady.

Post back with findings.

Old 06-09-2014, 01:47 AM

After charging the battery I tried starting the car and it would not turn over. So I turned the key to "OFF" and then back to "ON" and then turned the valet switch on. After that I was able to start the car. I noticed that with the ignition switch off the red indicator light flashes every few seconds and when I start it the red indicator light stays on. It appears that the alarm system is an aftermarket possible dealer installed Magnadyne PL 30.

Old 06-09-2014, 11:42 AM
Super Moderator

After market alarms typically disable the starter.

The link below is for the owners manual. You can page through via the page numbers.

Appears the red light on means alarm is now in valet mode, page 4.

Manual - Car alarm - Magnadyne PL30

Old 06-11-2014, 02:47 AM

Thank you for your assistance, I have the valet switch set and all is well again.

Old 06-11-2014, 10:21 AM
Super Moderator

Great job! Thanks for posting back with the resolution.