General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine dies

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2006, 08:24 PM
Default Engine dies

When I come to a stop with the AC on the car chuggs and dies. Of course it never does this when a tech is driving it. It seems to be worse when exiting the freeway. It is a 1992 with V6. Any ideas?

Old 06-21-2006, 11:54 PM
Default RE: Engine dies

I have a 1988 v6, and it would stall. when you hold the brake in a drive gear, it would flutter and die. can you put your car in nuetral when it starts to stall and the rpms will smooth our? if so, you may have a crack in your air intake(after the mass air flow sensor,MAF)

this was the case on my car. my v6 idle drops when I press the brake to 500rpm( it is supposed to) when the idle dropped that low, the extra air comming in not read by the MAF, was enough to stall the motor.
i bought a intake pipe off a car at a junk yard for $5 and the car has never stalled again.

always check the simple things first.

i had taken the car to a garage. they put it on the computer and said that my throttle position sensor was bad. that cost me $120, but was not the problem. it is very likely that the extra air comming in was messing up the TPS, and that the unit itself was fine.

you should also consider checking your vacume lines for leaks.

does the car only die when you have the ac on?
the ac puts extra strain on the motor(so the intake problem above could still be the problem)
does the ac make any noise?
if the bearing in the air compressor is bad, then it could be slowing down the drive belt, which could stop the engine.(this is not all that likely, but if your car only stalls with the ac on, then have some one look at the air compressor)

hope this helps!

Old 06-21-2006, 11:55 PM
Default RE: Engine dies

I have a 1988 v6, and it would stall. when you hold the brake in a drive gear, it would flutter and die. can you put your car in nuetral when it starts to stall and the rpms will smooth our? if so, you may have a crack in your air intake(after the mass air flow sensor,MAF)

this was the case on my car. my v6 idle drops when I press the brake to 500rpm( it is supposed to) when the idle dropped that low, the extra air comming in not read by the MAF, was enough to stall the motor.
i bought a intake pipe off a car at a junk yard for $5 and the car has never stalled again.

always check the simple things first.

i had taken the car to a garage. they put it on the computer and said that my throttle position sensor was bad. that cost me $120, but was not the problem. it is very likely that the extra air comming in was messing up the TPS, and that the unit itself was fine.

you should also consider checking your vacume lines for leaks.

does the car only die when you have the ac on?
the ac puts extra strain on the motor(so the intake problem above could still be the problem)
does the ac make any noise?
if the bearing in the air compressor is bad, then it could be slowing down the drive belt, which could stop the engine.(this is not all that likely, but if your car only stalls with the ac on, then have some one look at the air compressor)

hope this helps!