Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Car Dies When Stopping

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2008, 06:48 PM
Default Car Dies When Stopping

Hi Guys

I have Camry XLE 95 model. Sometimes when I stop it somewhere e.g at a signal than the car does some knocking and dies. When I turn the ignition on it gets started again. Can someone please help me out what could be the problem. I have tried increasing the RPMs but it doesn't work.

Old 03-03-2008, 08:24 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Car Dies When Stopping

The IAC valve could need cleaning.

The IAC valve controls engine idle speed by varing bypass air around the throttle body. The valve body contains a small elelctric motor the opens and closes the valve based on computer inputs.

Often the valve becomes dirty and the result is a slow resonse to computer comands and high/low idle.

Cleaning the valve is common. Remove the air intake hose that leads to the throttle body, once removed look into the body and you should see a rectangular slot at the bottom. This is the air intake for the valve. Obtain a can of throttle body cleaner from an autoparts store. Make sure it is safe to use with 02, A/F sensors and ALSO plastics. The IAC valve body is plastic.

With engine running, spray a little bit of the fluid into the slot, not too much or the engine will die. Keep doing this until the idle start behaving normally (assuming the valve just needs cleaning).

As both of the problems are common, do a Google search. Most Toyota cars (and other manufacturers) use about the same valve design, often you can find sites complete with photos on how to clean the IAC valve.

Old 03-06-2008, 05:26 PM

Have you taken the battery out? My dealership told me that the computer is trying to restart and relearn your driving style. I was not sure about what they told me but after driving on the highway for like 20 miles there were not more problems.

Old 03-07-2008, 10:32 AM
Super Moderator

Don't think the 1995 had the type of computer that adapts to driving style, this was later on.

Old 03-07-2008, 04:45 PM

Well it was just an idea

Old 03-19-2008, 12:27 AM

Yea I just noticed it with my 94 LE. We came to a red light and felt a knock, I thought we were low on gas. I watched the tach drop to zero and die. I'll take a look at the IAC valve idea.

Old 03-21-2008, 05:32 AM

yeah i was going to ask this same question.

it was driving just fine, then i disconnected my batt to install a amp, then when connected the batt back on, it had a very low idle when sitting still...

i tried to disconnected it again and install it back on but it didn't help...

the thing is, this has happened before last year...i recall just disconnecting the battery a couple of times and it went back to normal...i'll have to try to do this some more...otherwise i'll have to try that IAC cleaning trick...

Old 03-23-2008, 07:46 PM

Well I did the IAC valve, and it did have an effect, but it wasnt the real problem. At first I would have to floor the thing in order to get up a hill.I had no power off the line, but now I can get uphill with my big toe I thought the problem was fixed but after a while it did stall again.But like I said, cleaning the IAC valve made a big difference. I've never been kicked back in my seat before with that car, and I think it definitely made a difference with gas milage. So yea, Lee, I definitely recommend cleaning the IAC valve, it costs a whole $3 for the cleaner, and its a whole 5 minute job. But can anyone else think of what the issue could be? I want it to run well and run constantly. Time to get back to work on it [X(].