General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Entune 3.0 ???

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2018, 06:51 AM
Default Entune 3.0 ???

My new 2018 Camry is equipped with the new Toyota Entune 3.0 System. This thing is very confusing to get up and running. First off, I was told the navigation will not work unless you first download the Scout Navigation App first into your phone, and then pair the App in the phone to the Entune 3.0 System in the car. Then I read you have to download a series of other Apps from Toyota as well. Now I'm hearing the system doesn't work with Android. All of the videos shown in the installation process by Toyota are I-Phone installs. This is all extremely confusing. And it shouldn't be something the customer of a brand new vehicle should have to screw around with. It should be delivered up and running.

When we bought our 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee, everything was up and running when we left the dealership. We didn't have to do a thing except pair our phones when we got home. And that only took a couple of minutes. The navigation system is totally independent, and requires no phone to operate. The more I read up on this whole Toyota Entune System, the more confusing it gets. I have successfully downloaded the Scout Navigation App into both of our phones, but I'm not sure where to go from here? And the way I'm understanding this whole system, is you must have the phone with you in the car at all times, or you cannot access the navigation system in the car at all. Has anyone gone through this process successfully with a new 2018 Camry?

Old 03-24-2018, 09:55 AM

Well I just spent the last half hour trying to get this Scout Navigation App in my phone to link up with the Entune 3.0 System in my new Camry..... Unsuccessfully. This entire system is extremely user unfriendly. The entire navigation system not only won't work, but it won't tell or prompt you as to what you need to have in order for it to work. Do I need another App from Toyota in addition to the Scout Navigation App? I don't know. Which one? I don't know. Will the thing even work with Android phones? I don't know. Every Toyota video shows it with a I-Phone.

And I have researched this everywhere, and watched umpteen videos from Toyota and everyone else both on You Tube, as well as Toyota's website, and can find no definitive answers. Even the phone system is lousy. In my U-Connect System in my Jeep, it will automatically sense the phone and link it every time you get in the car and start it. It will pop up on the screen "Phone Ready", within 30 seconds after you start the vehicle. All that's required is to have the phone with you inside the vehicle. It does the rest. This Entune 3.0 System requires you to punch in the device every time you get in the car. All manually. That's a PITA. And to make matters worse, my wife and I have identical phones that appear the same on the screen. (Same letter and number code). So you have no idea which is which. If you should hit the wrong one, it won't link. Then you have to start over. Who is going to bother doing that every time they get in the car? It's easier to just use the phone itself.

Overall I'm happy with the car. But Toyota has it's work cut out for them in regards to their whole navigation and phone system. When you pay upward of $30K for a new vehicle, you shouldn't have to play computer technician to get it to work properly. It should function properly as delivered. Toyota has dropped the ball big time on this one. And from what I've been reading on line, I'm not the only customer complaining and having issues with this system. And I believe this is something like the third version of it.

Old 03-25-2018, 10:10 AM
Super Moderator

The car has GPS navigation but it doesn't work? You want to upgrade to Scout for navigation?

Scout apparently receives 1.5 starts out of 5. Entune is known to have issues. Toyota has poor reviews for support of Entune and making the system user friendly. The combination of all may be what you are experiencing.

Have you tried the Toyota Entune | Toyota Entune Forum and News forum or Toyotanation.com in the appropriate section for support?

Old 03-25-2018, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by toyomoho
The car has GPS navigation but it doesn't work? You want to upgrade to Scout for navigation?

Scout apparently receives 1.5 starts out of 5. Entune is known to have issues. Toyota has poor reviews for support of Entune and making the system user friendly. The combination of all may be what you are experiencing.

Have you tried the Toyota Entune Toyota Entune Forum and News forum or Toyotanation.com in the appropriate section for support?
This is exactly, character per character, what is written on the window sticker:

"Entune 3.0 Audio w/ Connected Nav Scout GPS Link App & App Suite 7" Touch Screen, Bluetooth"

This morning I tried it again without success. This was after I started the car, and it said that a Entune 3.0 update was available for installation. I downloaded the update, and then installed it per the screen prompts. It said, "Installation was successful". I then shut off the vehicle, waited a minute, and restarted it. And attempted it yet again. When I tried to connect the Nav Scout GPS App on my phone by touching, "connect to car" on the screen on my phone, nothing happened but endless searching. Both our phones are successfully paired to the car. I can call via. voice commands to any number in the directory. So the phones are compatible per the Entune 3.0 System.

So to be clear, here is where I am at.

1.) I have successfully paired both of my phones to the Entune 3.0 System.

2.) I have downloaded both the Nav Scout GPS App, as well as the Toyota Entune 3.0 Suite App into both phones.

3.) The Entune 3.0 System in my new Camry has had the latest update installed in it.

And I can't get any navigation of any kind up and running. I'm going to call the dealer this morning, and see if they have anyone around who knows this system, and can help. The service dept isn't open. But there should be someone who knows this system better than I. I'll report back on what they say or do.

Old 03-25-2018, 01:45 PM

Success! I went to the dealer, and he got the Navigation up and running with both phones. It took him about 5 minutes. The only thing I learned is you need to have the phone wired to the cars USB port for the navigation map to show. So I have to get the cable from Wal-Mart or Best Buy. That's good because it will keep your phone fully charged if you're using the Navigation on long trips. Or even just the phone itself for talking. It's bad because the Navigation won't work in the Entune 3.0 without your phone. It is dependent on it. Kind of the cheap way out, but that's the way it is. At least it all works now.

Old 07-28-2018, 06:53 PM

I was told by the dealer rep that my Camry GLE 2018 would get an upgrade with apple car play to fix this lousy nav system. Did anyone else hear that?

Old 07-29-2018, 04:34 PM
Super Moderator

Supposed to be 2019.for Camry.