General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fan switch problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2007, 01:02 AM
Default Fan switch problem

Hi all,

I'm a newbie here. It's good I found this site.

I have a 91 Camry and has a problem with the fan switch. The switch does not turn on the fan at the low to the mid setting. Is there a way I can replace it. Is it a DIY?

Thanks all.

Old 09-15-2007, 01:14 AM
Default coolant leak

Here I am again asking for help.

Here's my story

While driving home from work with my aircon on, the temperature gauge suddenly went up. I was lucky to get home without having an overheat. After allowing the car to cool down, I noticed that the coolant reservoir was empty. I opened the rad cap and found the radiator dry. I did not realize my coolant was leaking. I brought the car to a mechanic. He told me that the water pump needs to be replaced (estimate cost is $300). But I just replaced the water pump with the timing belt about 30,000 miles ago.

I brought it to another mechanic for a second opinion. This time I was told that it does not look like the water pump is the problem. If it were, he told me that the side wall at the passenger side would be wet with coolant. However, he said that it appears that the leak is going to the engine. He also found a pinhole at the radiator which may have cause the leak too. Estimated cost is $600 (excluding radiator replacement).

I'm planning to get a third opinion.

I'm not really adept in cars, but could somebody help me. Please ask me anything that I need to verify for you. Thanks.

Old 09-15-2007, 03:14 PM
Default RE: Fan switch problem

Why are you whispering?

The fan speed is controlled by a resistor. You just have two sections of the resistor blown andyou need to replace the resistor. I'm not sure where it is on a 91 but on mine it is located on the drivers side down on the right of the gas pedal. It will be in the air stream of the blower, that is what keeps it cool.

Old 09-15-2007, 03:28 PM
Default RE: coolant leak

The second mechanic was right, as far as the water pump is concerned. The WP will leak at the shaft and the coolant will flow down inside the timing belt cover and out the drain hole in the bottom. If you don't see coolant down there I doubt your WP is leaking. I would not trust mechanic #1.

If the coolant is leaking into the engine you will see it either as a thick white cloud out the exhaust with a very distinct sweet smell, or you will seecoolant mixed with the oil and your dipstick will show a higher level.Not sureif I trust mechanic #2 either - but he could be right.

What you need to do is have a shop pressuretest your cooling system, in front of you. The leak in the rad will show up forsure. That needs to be fixed no matter what unless you see more problems and decide to junk the car.Soif you don't havethe thick white cloudand there is no sign ofwater in the engine oil (or oil in the coolant) then why don't you fix the rad for now and see what happens next. You could either take the rad out yourself (not hard) and take it to a rad shop to repair, or you could just buy a new one and install it. Use the opportunity to replace the thermostat as well. Buy a Haynes manual for about $17 and it will walk you through most repairs.