General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Finding a gas leak

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2009, 10:27 AM
Default Finding a gas leak

I filled the tank saturday, parked on a slight incline (drivers side downhill) came out the next morning and smelled raw gasoline. I looked under the car and saw gas dripping off drivers side of tank. Later was able to jack up car, remove LR wheel and see gas had run down the back of the tank and found it's way to the left side. I let the car sit all day on level ground, jacked it up again and saw NO gas, no fumes, it looked normal.

I have taken the back seat out, removed the FP cover, it's dry up there, no gas stains.

Without topping it off and looking for the leak, do you have any ideas on how to find a leak like this? I don't have a smoke machine for finding leaks. I thought about hooking up the discharge side of a shop-vac, blowing in the filler neck and getting under the car, spraying with soapy water. It might work.

This car has been in central Texas all it's life, iow, no rust.l

Is there a part that ofter fails on these cars? I have noticed the smell of gas in the past after refilling, but never saw leaks before.

Old 12-15-2009, 10:36 AM

Doh! It might help you to know it's a '94 camry 4 cyl

Old 12-24-2009, 01:23 AM
Default Finding a gas leak

i have to drop the gas tank off of my 83 z. i know its gonna be a bitch to do but i was wonderin if there are any tricks or shortcuts or just some good things to know before u start...thanks