General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Free brake pads and movie tickets at Toyota Dealership

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2017, 01:21 PM
Default Free brake pads and movie tickets at Toyota Dealership

Sadly you have to catch them stealing from you first.

I have my oil serviced at Sullivan Brothers Toyota in Kingston Ma (paid coupons).
They do a multi- point inspection.

I was told my rear brakes were very close to metal to metal and needed new brake pad asap.
Went home pulled the rear tires and pads
Factory service manual states pads should be replaced at 1mm, dealer say 2mm, new pads measure 11mm.
My pads measured 6mm more new, then not.
Called the Service Manger to inform, Manger: "sorry, takes some new pads for your trouble".

Next oil change,

Service Adviser: your cabin air filter is filthy dirty and needs to be changed, gives me a quote for new filter.
Me: really? Did your service tech see any writing on the filter?
Service Adviser: factory cabin filters don't have writing on them.
Me: that's because it's not a factory cabin filter, I installed a "NEW" filter last week and wrote the date and mileage on it that your service tech didn't see because he never looked at it.
Service Manger: Sorry, a few days go by and I received 2 movie ticket in the mail.

Last week's oil change

Service Adviser: you have a dead battery with a dead cell, gives me a $195 quote for a new battery.
Me: Hmm ok,

I never had a problem with my battery, but having come from the dealership I gave it my attention.
Went home and load tested the battery, everything checked out good.
I also had it checked at an independent garage, after testing they said there isn't anything wrong with my battery and it is working as it should.

In my book it's called stealing, and after I caught them three times they still keep trying which shows me they had no intentions of stopping.

I already paid for oil coupons and there isn't another dealership close by.

What can be done that would stop them from stealing from me and other customers? I can't be the only one their doing this to.

Old 01-18-2017, 03:37 PM
Super Moderator

I submit if this dealer was in error on needed repairs, there are non-dealer repair shops doing the same thing.

Unfortunately auto repair seems to be an area where the customer really needs to beware.

Not all repair shops have issues. As with any type of professional service. A customer needs to sort out the good from bad. The internet and sites have customer feedback that can help in the search.

At least you are getting something out of this deal.

Old 01-18-2017, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by toyomoho
I submit if this dealer was in error on needed repairs, there are non-dealer repair shops doing the same thing.

At least you are getting something out of this deal.
The above response sounds like it came straight from the dealer.....

You make it sound so acceptable.