General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help!!!! Battery/alarm/lock problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2010, 01:28 PM
Default Help!!!! Battery/alarm/lock problems

There's a lot going on with my car right now so I'll just list the symptoms and I'm hoping one of car enthusiasts out there can take the time to help me out a little.
2009 camry le

1. it all started a couple days ago. stepped out of the car real quick locked my car, and the car made that BEEPBEEP sound while the locks locked. (you guys know wsuh) so everything was cool. I came back out unlocked my car got my jacket and closed the door again and this time nothing happened. The little red light on my key turns on but theres no response from my car. my car wont respond to lock/unlock/alarm/or even trunk. i have to manually lock and unlock my car if i want to lock it at all.

2. here's where it gets tricky.. after i turn off my engine usually the power cuts out completely. i.e. you know the radio the lights everything turns off. weirdly my car battery stays on. I'm afraid it will die soon regardless of what i do. its been a couple days that my car stayed on. i unplucked all of my appliances and stuff but its still draining.

i wanted to know if i had something wrong with my car?
FYI. i have aftermarket 8k xenon hids
ALSO i used to have a 800w nitro amp w/ 1200w 2 12in. torque subs in my trunk but those got stolen after someone broke into my trunk. I'm wondering if the loose wires in my trunk have any connection.
I'm just throwing ideas out there

someone help me out? thx

Old 01-25-2010, 05:06 PM
Super Moderator

The door lock/alarm system can be programmed to do various things. Perhaps the programming is off. Is this an after market alarm or Toyota/dealer installed?

Your power stays on, such as radio and what else?

Old 01-25-2010, 06:16 PM

thanks for getting back to me mang.
its the stock alarm that i have when i bought the car.
i havent really checked anything else because i work from 7am-7pm. but from what i've tried after i take out the key the radio/all the interior lights/and my dashboard lights are still on. OH and like the clock and stuff.. my power windows dont work however
any ideas?

Old 01-25-2010, 10:17 PM
Super Moderator

Can only guess based on previous year cars.

Does this car have a radio or a combo radio/navigation system?

Did the car have any wiring work done such as a stereo install?

Does the car have a accessory plug to power items such as a car phone, etc and if so does this work when the ign key is off?

If you have the owners manual suggest you review it to determine if there is some kind of alarm or remote door lock setting that can allow this to happen. Many of these system are programmable.

Old 01-26-2010, 07:15 PM

thanks for your reply. actuallly i just have the radio. but i did have 2 things installed.
1. 8k xenon hids
2. 2 12inch subs with nitro 800w amp
so do you think the electric wiring messed it up somehow?
i had the amp and subs stolen from my trunk a couple weeks ago and since then i guess everything just went down hill. they just basically ripped the wires around when it was stolen

and yes there are charger ports but they arent supposedd to work after i take my keys out. im hoping for the best and just taking it into the dealership tomorrow.
thanks for your help

Old 02-24-2010, 03:39 PM
Cool Aye

My suggestion is you go to autozone get the battery serviced for free clean your terminals on the battery cables and replace the batteries in the car keys alarm system if that helps...hope this works