General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Horrible brake noise

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2016, 08:46 PM
Default Horrible brake noise

I have a 2009 SE. I purchased it new and it has 70000 miles on it now and I recently replaced the front brakes for the first time. I now have a horrible grinding noise coming from the front brakes. I purchased the middle of the road ceramic replacements and ended up taking them off and today I bought the best pads the parts store had available. After replacing the pads a second time I still have this noise.I had both rotors turned and used the grease it recommends to use. I'm at a loss any Ideas? I've taken everything apart several times and cleaned and degreased over and over and it seems to be getting worse. Also I was told at the parts store that the OE were also ceramics.

Old 02-22-2016, 12:55 PM
Super Moderator

Need to ask, did you install the pads backwards as in the metal portion now contacts the disk?

Look at the both faces of the rotor and the edges for possible signs of metal contact.

Check the following:

The pad shims fit up correctly to the pads. If using Toyota shims and aftermarket pads, the shims may not fit correctly to the pads.

The spring clips retaining the pads or the pad wear indicator spring tab on the pad are hitting the rotor when the brakes are applied.

The metal splash plate in back of the rotor is bent and contacting the rotor.

Free movement of the pad holder assy on its pins? It needs to be able to move in and out freely or the pads will not align with the rotor surfaces.

Old 02-22-2016, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by toyomoho
Need to ask, did you install the pads backwards as in the metal portion now contacts the disk?

Look at the both faces of the rotor and the edges for possible signs of metal contact.

Check the following:

The pad shims fit up correctly to the pads. If using Toyota shims and aftermarket pads, the shims may not fit correctly to the pads.

The spring clips retaining the pads or the pad wear indicator spring tab on the pad are hitting the rotor when the brakes are applied.

The metal splash plate in back of the rotor is bent and contacting the rotor.

Free movement of the pad holder assy on its pins? It needs to be able to move in and out freely or the pads will not align with the rotor surfaces.

You hit the nail on the head with the splash guard. After taking everything apart multiple times I decided to put one lug nut on to hold the rotor in place I then noticed the guard behind the rotor was touching. I had checked clearances several times but every time I did the rotor was apparently kicked out on the bottom. Needless to say after beating myself up over and over I finally figured it out. I feel like an idiot since it was something so simple. Thanks for the reply.

Old 02-22-2016, 09:08 PM
Super Moderator

It's easy to bend the plate and not the first time this has happened, don't beat yourself up.

Good job in finding the problem.

Old 02-23-2016, 06:37 AM

Just to chime in. I had something similar. While working on my front end recently after I put it all back together with the help of Toyomoho and others, noticed the plate was bent a little rubbing. Its easy to bend it while your working on the brakes suspension, etc. and not realize it until later on. Thanks for sharing.