General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to reboot the computer after leaving 2 fuses out once

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2020, 02:51 PM
Default How to reboot the computer after leaving 2 fuses out once

While diagnosing parasitic drain, I accidently replaced two fuses into two dead spots. I drove for 25 feet, stopped and corrected that after seeing the dashboard lights come on for those two fuses. The check engine light and anti skid light. Dome 10A and ECU-B NO.1 10A.

It was suggested to me I just needed to reboot the computer by disconnecting the battery for 5 minutes or more. I do this and the lights can stay off for days and many trips but so far have come back on whether I disconnect the battery for seconds or days. One few time the battery was disconnected for weeks and the lights came back on when I restarted.

How do I reboot the computer? Any other thoughts?

Thanking you in advance!

Charley
2011 Camry SE

Old 12-21-2020, 07:24 PM
Super Moderator

The lights you reference coming on are for the check engine engine and anti-skid?

The anti-skid light may be on because the check engine light is on. Find the issue causing the check light to come on and the skid light may go off.

If the check light is on then there is a code(s) stored. Suggest you get this code(s) read out. This can be done via the ODBII port using a code reader/scanner. Depending on what state the car is in, auto parts stores may do this for free. Some states forbid auto parts stores from reading out codes.

It could be the fuses being removed caused an issue with car that triggered the check light. Reconnecting the fuses may not have cleared these codes (reset the system). Ditto for disconnecting the battery.

Assuming the issue was just a result of the fuses being removed, a code reader can clear the code(s) and reset the affected systems.

Old 12-22-2020, 10:18 AM

Thanks for your thorough reply!

I have an older OBDII unit (must look up codes) and that’s on my agenda for today. The lights are currently off so I’ll be able to see things with lights off and later on – if they come back on.

Old 12-22-2020, 04:54 PM
Super Moderator

The ECU-B powers the ABS. With ABS not powered, the skid light can come on.

Old 12-27-2020, 10:53 AM

These lights never came on before and only came on after I left them out of their fuse holders for a 50 foot ride. The engine light came on yesterday on the 14th start up. I used the ODBII and came up with P0456 EVAP Emission sys leak small with and without "pd". I reset with ODBII before driving... light went out and the traction light didn't come on. I think the traction light would have come on if I continued driving before resetting. More to come.

Thank you, Joey P!

Old 01-02-2021, 01:28 PM

The engine light comes on after 14 starts (based on 2 cycles). After I start to drive with the engine light on, the traction light comes on shortly thereafter. I stop the car, turn it off, then restart with the OBDII unit in and I reset with only code that’s off, P0456 with and without Pd. This turns off the engine light but not the traction light. I need to turn the car off and restart it for the traction light to come off. If I turn off the code before I drive the traction light never comes on.

I read somewhere that some cars will turn on a dash light after 40 cycles. This seems to be 14? And the traction light is somewhat related to but not resolved by turning off the engine light code. If I’m making myself clear.

Old 01-03-2021, 12:52 AM
Super Moderator

The traction problem could have solved itself after the fuses were reinstalled.

The P0456 code is for a small air leak in the cars fuel tank emissions system. An air pump creates negative pressure to check for leaks. The test time could be set to be done at X hours after the ign key is turned off IF the coolant temp is below a certain temp. If not below this temp the test is delayed a few hours.

This type of code may not turn off the traction system as the problem does not affect engine performance.

The list of possible problem areas are below:
Loose or defective fuel tank cap
Air leak in hose from canister to fuel tank, from Purge VSV hose to canister, leak in fuel tank or canister, problem canister pump module (this is the pump system the creates the negative pressure in the tank)

Start out by checking the fuel cap. Check the purge valve for not being closed when depowered, hose leaks due to damage, bad hose connections, cracked canister.

A smoke test can be done to try to find any leaks. This test injects smoke into the emissions system which be seen at leak points.

Last edited by toyomoho; 04-01-2021 at 07:00 PM.
Old 01-21-2021, 01:31 PM

I replaced the gas cap and I do seem to see a change in the "lights on" on start up. I think the engine light doesn't stay on as long as it did on start. The lights still come on about every 14th start. I'm not much for crawling around/underneath things these days. I discussed this with the desk people at my local dealership and they said hook it up to the computer, our techs will find it. I'll probably try that at this point. I just reset the code every week or two, which is fine and I can imagine this rapidly becoming a very time consuming deal. $$

I'm not sure if I mentioned that when I first started looking at parasitic drain and opened the engine fuse box for the first time, the front of the box was not closed properly by who ever was in there last. There is some dried road haze in there. This may feed the issue of the lights coming on only after I misplaced these fuses. Fuses not making great contact?
Just a few thoughts. Thanks!

Old 01-21-2021, 11:17 PM
Super Moderator

A shop can do a smoke test. This is injecting smoke (typically heated mineral oil) into the EVAP system to check for smoke leaks. .

As to drain, how much of a drain in terms of milliamps? Could be a suck relay. A shop having a decent scanner can check is components of the electrical system and determine if a system is not turning off. Typically these systems have a sleep mode after say 10 minutes of car being off. Did you check the trunk light? Any aftermarket additions to the car such as alarm, remote start, amp for radio?

Don't know about the road haze. Get a can of electrical contact cleaner (Walmart sells CRC brand cheap) and clean away. Don't remove any SRS (airbag) fuses or this can set a trouble code which will need to be reset with a OBD scanner. If possible look under the fuse board for damage.

Old 01-23-2021, 11:23 AM

Thanks! I'm looking into all of above!

Quick Reply: How to reboot the computer after leaving 2 fuses out once