General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How would you fix this?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2015, 03:08 PM
Default How would you fix this?

2006 Camry XLE V6 California Emissions

Mice ate the wiring harness at the firewall, passenger side. Like 25 wires severed.

I thought I would patiently solder them back together, but upon closer inspection, there are 7 black wires with silver bars, and maybe about the same number of brown with silver bars. Same gauge, marked the same.

How can I sort this out?

Attached Thumbnails How would you fix this?-06-camry-harness.jpg  
Old 05-06-2015, 07:24 PM
Super Moderator

Where does this harness lead to? Such as does it go through the firewall at the grommet below the harness as shown in the photo? The other end going to the engine where wires start to separate from the harness? Then to engine sensors, injector, etc?

If the harness goes through the firewall it may go the engine computer. You can access the computer then unplug this harness. This will allow access for an ohm meter (more later).

Suggest splicing the wiring as may be easier then finding and replacing the complete harness.

Suggest CAREFULLY remove the wire bundle outer covering on each side of the damage. You don't want to damage the wiring or move the wire location within then the harness bundle. The wiring location within the wire bundle should be reasonably constant and you may be able to match the location on each side of the damage.

Identify wires you were able to match up with marking numbers such as in the link below:

http://www.googleadservices.com/page...cid%3Dss139110

Match up as many wires as possible.

With the remaining can use an ohm meter to find its location on computer plug which can be linked to where it goes. Then confirm this by using the ohm meter on the other harness between this component and the damaged end of the wire.

Stagger the splice points from one side of the damage to the other or you may end up with a large bundle of spices at one point.

Old 05-06-2015, 08:58 PM

Thanks for the reply, makes sense. Where could I find a pinout for the connectors so I can ohm out each wire? I'll have to sort both sides.

Old 05-06-2015, 09:02 PM

This is high on the passenger side firewall, where the main harness turns down, near the passenger inner fenderwell. I have the cabin side all disconnected and pulled through to the engine compartment so I can trace the wires.

Old 05-06-2015, 10:06 PM
Super Moderator

See private message.

Old 05-07-2015, 11:31 AM

Just a suggestion:

Will cost you $15 for 2 days access, but you can get the wire diagrams here.

https://techinfo.toyota.com/techInfo...pmanager/t3/ti

This is THE North America Toyota site for all your RMs, wire diagrams, TSBs, etc. I suggest you take advantage of the access and PDF off every RM section you can. They do not provide you the option to download, just print. But you can print to PDF to generate a stack of PDFs.