General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 08-26-2015, 12:25 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: General Overview
Print Wikipost

Huge oil line leak

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by Paul3637
The TSB is EG038-06 and specifically covers the 2007 camry v6 including the avalon. The dealer should pay. Here is a copy of the beginning of the pdf file which you can dowload from the Internet:

Page 1 of 2
EG038-06
Title:
2GR-FE (V6) ENGINE OIL LEAK
Models:
’05 – ’06 Avalon & ’07 Camry (V6)
Technical Service
BULLETIN
June 19, 2006
TSB REVISION NOTICE:
��
October 9, 2006: Production Change Information has been added. The Applicable
Warranty has been updated in the Warranty Information table.
Previous versions of this TSB should be discarded.

Some 2GR–FE engines may display evidence of a small oil leak, located on the rear side
of Bank 1. The source has been identified as unused side and end bolt holes in the right
hand (Bank 1) cam housing. A repair procedure has been developed to correct
this condition.
��
2005 – 2006 model year Avalon vehicles.

�� 2007 model year Camry vehicles equipped with the V6 engine
This TSB is NOT for a ruptured VVTI line or even a leaky one at that. This particular TSB covers a leak at the engine's front cover requiring only a highly laborous reseal fix. As far as the VVTI hose being covered the powertrain warranty. I think the loophole is because this hose is OUTSIDE of the engine. Powertrain components tend to be considered internal parts. That's just my opinion on why i feel some dealers claim its not a powertrain issue.

Also- its not possible to just replace the rubber portion of the hose as the side hose that leaks has an integrated banjo fitting where it bolts into the rear valve cover.

I think with enough of a controlled discussion with the service manager (no yelling or raising of the voice as this makes them LESS likely to want to help you), you might able to convince him/her to do courtesy repair based on a judgment call. If you have a dealership that you've established yourself as a loyal customer to- i don't think they will give you any hassles at all.

JJ

Old 05-14-2009, 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by bobbysi
You are entitled to a No Charge Engine Oil hose replacement. It is covered under 5 yr 60,000 mile warranty. I have a 2007 V6 47k miles and my engine oil hose busted when i was driving. I drove 15 miles before i found out. Anyway Stevinson Toyota in Denver changed the hose without any issue.

What types of checks did they perform on the engine to ensure that it did not suffer any significant damage? Did Toyota do anything to cover any future damage that may occur as a result of your driving without oil for 15 minutes?

I experienced the same issue as you, but I only drove about 4 miles with little oil.. I am concerned that my engine may have damage in the long term (later down the road) and wonder what Toyota would do in the event that damage occured..

Thanks

Old 05-18-2009, 09:28 AM

Part number 15772-31030 is the new part # for the 08/09 and up. This line is all metal and works on all the cars effected. You won't have to worry about it leaking again.

Thanks

-Toyotagregg

Old 06-13-2009, 01:28 PM

Just picked up the parts and three special washers.

part numbers :

15772-31030 pipe oil 2

90430-16012 gasket
90430-16017 gasket
90430-16016 gasket

Toyota Marin wants $450 to install, they say they need to remove the power steering fluid pump to get in there?

The local alternative to the dealer is Japan motors and they want $300.

I probably over reacted in buying these parts since my car is 16 months old with 23,000 miles, since the car is still under warranty.

On that Australian thread the TSB for the Avalon does not mention having to remove anything other than the timing cover #2, but that engine compartment is bigger .

I will put the parts in the closet for latter.

Old 06-18-2009, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by kurens
Hi.First of all sorry for my english guys.I got 2007 Camry v6(40K miles).Yesterday i saw a lot of oil in my garage and i immediately go to the dealer.Camry is certified used vehicle and they gave me replacementcar and i supposed to wait for phone call.Today morning they told me that warranty will not cover this.It's engine oil line for vvti system(15707-3102)It's engine component so warranty supposed to cover it.The similar problem was in avalon-the same engine.Any clue guys?what to do?700$ for repairs.thanks for any help and sorry for my english.
I started a similar thread here back in January. Seems the Rav 4 are having the same problems as ours. How's your Camry doing lately?

Old 07-06-2009, 04:01 PM
Default Camry Busted Oil Hose

Originally Posted by XLEV6
What types of checks did they perform on the engine to ensure that it did not suffer any significant damage? Did Toyota do anything to cover any future damage that may occur as a result of your driving without oil for 15 minutes?

I experienced the same issue as you, but I only drove about 4 miles with little oil.. I am concerned that my engine may have damage in the long term (later down the road) and wonder what Toyota would do in the event that damage occured..

Thanks
My engine oil hose blew up as I was entering my garage when coming home from work. My car leaked oil all night long. Since I drive very early in the morning I didnt notice the oil all over the floor in the dark. I did notice the smell a little bit but b/c of my cold i couldnt really tell. I drove the car to work the next day and the engine started rattling big time after driving 15 miles so I pulled over to a gas station and notice oil leaking. My engine oil light also flashed intemittently. I did ask the dealership if they can see any heavy engine damage. To no surprise they said that my engine was fine and that Camry's are built to withstand this kind of hit. I asked him that if Camry's are built so well then how come the hose blew up? He didn't say anything. I also asked him what if the engine fails few thousand miles out of warranty b/c of the oil loss. He said not to worry about it.
Comparing my situation to yours, I'd say you're in a better shape then I am. But I am considering sellin my Camry soon. I take care of my car really well and even then recently I noticed the silver window trim coming loose. I mean the car is falling apart like a ford or chevy or Dodge. I took it into a dealership to be looked at and one guy gave me an insider info. He said that some Toyotas are built here in Kentucky and some come from Japan. The ones from Ky (US made) have the serial number starting with 4******* and the ones from Japan start with J******. He said the Japanese built are much better in Quality and Paint evenness. Guess I'll remember that next time. I was very happy and excited to own my Camry but these days I'm far less than enthusiastic about it. I would have bought an Accord but no other engines except for Toyotas deliver solid Low end torque like Camry's. That's why even a Toyota corolla will have a better ride than an Accord. Guess I should get back to work.

Old 07-10-2009, 01:02 AM

Keep in mind that this VVTI hose is an EXTERNAL hose. With that- it may no longer be defined as a powertrain component.

JJ

Old 07-22-2009, 01:53 PM
Default Faulty VVTI line on 2007 Camry

We had a VVTI line failure on our 2007 V6 XLE Camry (23k miles) too. I asked the dealer tech about it and he said there was a "redesign" for the part. I asked what the change was and he could not answer. Looking at the "new" part, it appears to be the same as the original! Hot oil running through a line that is joined by 3 inches of rubber where there failure occurs, of course. Totally unacceptable and should be considered a safety issue as a siezed engine at highway speeds will cause an accident.

Old 08-27-2009, 07:30 AM
Smile Just happened on 07 Camry at 47k

The only warning was the Low Oil Pressure popping up on the computer while driving. Drove it a mile to a service station (trailing quite a stream of oil) then had it towed to the dealer.

Woburn Toyota in MA repaired it under warranty. They replaced the following:

15707-31030 Pipe Sub-Assy, Oil
11322-31021 Cover, Timing Chain
90430-16012 (x2) Gasket
90430-16016 Gasket

Old 09-18-2009, 11:41 AM
Default It appears they did fix the problem correctly bro.

Originally Posted by rf2000
The only warning was the Low Oil Pressure popping up on the computer while driving. Drove it a mile to a service station (trailing quite a stream of oil) then had it towed to the dealer.

Woburn Toyota in MA repaired it under warranty. They replaced the following:

15707-31030 Pipe Sub-Assy, Oil
11322-31021 Cover, Timing Chain
90430-16012 (x2) Gasket
90430-16016 Gasket
Hey - they gave you the wrong part - they gave you another one with the rubber hose instead of the all metal one. 15707 pipe oil 2 vs 15772 pipe sub-assy, oil

Look at the June 13 post in this forum from 1756 kiteboarder which he also posted in the ToyotaNation forum as follows under the same screen name.

Originally Posted by rsb1445 [IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/Paul/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/msohtmlclip1/01/clip_image001.gif[/IMG]
I'm probably going to have mine replaced. I have 59,000 miles on the car. Just wanted to make sure about these part numbers for the "All Metal Pipe". And the 3 gaskets are also necessary? Are these the corrcet part numbers? Thanks.

15772-31030 pipe oil 2
90430-16012 gasket
90430-16017 gasket
90430-16016 gasket

Yes that is correct. That was my post. The gaskets are necessary

Quick Reply: Huge oil line leak