General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I need HELP

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2008, 01:54 PM
Default I need HELP

OK im new here but really need help I have a 1994 Camry V6 and when it gets hot it almost seems like it is hitting the rev limiter at about 3900 RPM and we can not figure out what is causing it

Old 07-07-2008, 08:40 PM
Default RE: I need HELP

Is it manual or automatic transmission ?

Old 07-08-2008, 06:54 AM

Its a auto. and it will do it in gear or out of gear.

Old 07-08-2008, 10:51 AM
Super Moderator

Engine has max RPM range when cold, but when hot tops out at 3900?

Has the same RPM limit both in and out of gear?

How does the car accelerate up to this RPM, normal, slow, hesitation? Power and MPG OK?

When the RPM tops out does the engine buck, or just stop increasing in RPM?

Old 07-08-2008, 11:53 AM

Tops out at 3900 when it is hot and it hits the same thing in gear or out of gear,and it has a little hesitation, then the engine starts to buck.

Old 07-08-2008, 01:11 PM

I find it difficult to even guess what may be a reason for this.
You have this problem and no codes?
hopefully i dont get bashed for saying my oppinion but it sounds like ur lacking sufficient fuel or air.
from your description it almost sounds like the fuel system can't supply fuel for anything more demanding than 3900 rpm. is the car running lean? think about ur fuel system, maybe ur fuel filter? pull a spark plug see if there are any signs of teh car running rich or lean.
how old are ur plugs/wires/coil? although i dont think spark is a problem here
aside from that maybe somethign with the computer? anyone know if the car has a lower rev limiter in park vs in gear? (i ask because my chevy had a much lower rev limiter when in park)

Old 07-08-2008, 02:44 PM

The only code that is has is a 02 sensor. And its getting fuel, just put a new fuel pump anss fuel filter just to narrow it dow but it didnt help at all.

Old 07-08-2008, 04:08 PM

I am no mechanic but my sisters car had a similar problem. We took it to the mechanic and had the bearings changed in the transmission. It turned out that some of the bearings were broken. Idk if that's what's wrong with it but I hope you get it fixed soon it seems serious

Old 07-09-2008, 11:48 AM

Anyone else have any ideas. This stupid car is driving me crazy.

Old 07-09-2008, 06:55 PM
Super Moderator

Don't know.

The engine being RPM limited with and without a load when the engine is hot suggests an ignition problem. Might be a faulty coil. Try spraying a mist of water from a water bottle onto the coil and plug wires checking for arcing (do this in the dark).

A fuel starvation issue could cause this but the engine would typically rev OK out of gear but bogg when in gear. A defective fuel pressure regulator can cause fuel starvation. Engine start OK when hot?

Might be the MAF sensor, try disconnecting the electrical plug and determining what happens. The computer would reset to a default setting.

Need to think about what changes in the engine operation when hot that does not generate a trouble code.

A plugged CAT will cause poor engine performance. Check exhaust flow engine cold and hot.

Check the trans fluid for color and condition. Not sure a bad convertor could cause this but doesn't hurt to look for burned fluid.

Check coil resistance:
Primary 0.36-0.55 ohm cold, 0.45-0.65 ohm hot.
Secondary 9.0-15.4K ohm cold, 11.4 -18.1K ohm hot.

Plug wires no more then 25K ohms.

Quick Reply: I need HELP