General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Intake manifold expansion plug failure

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2014, 09:37 PM
Default Intake manifold expansion plug failure

92 Camry LE V6 3.0
There is an expansion plug central to and on the underside of the intake manifold (you can see it with a flashlight from the driver side front) that has gone bad and is spraying coolant. I have not found any advice or mention of this plug on the net or in my manual. I can't track down it's size to replace it or a vendor to get it from (it is about half the size of a block expansion plug). The Toyota dealer has no idea about it or where to get one. Access looks like trouble and I would like to know if anyone out there has ever had to do this job.
Please believe me that there is a plug, I can see it. It is not a hose spraying up there, the plug has a pin hole in it.

Old 07-09-2014, 11:44 PM
Super Moderator

I'm not too sure about this plug but if I were you, I would see about having a small piece of metal welded over the pin hole or the hole just welded shut. I'm not really even sure this is possible but I thought I would suggest it.
Could you post a pic? Might be able to judge better then.

Old 07-10-2014, 11:04 AM
Super Moderator

Is this plug installed in the block or head?

Toyota expansion plugs are standard mm diameters. If you knew the diameter of the hole, you could find one to fit.

A photo would help.

Can you get your hand into the area. Some folks have had suggest with JB Weld.

If this is a freeze plug leaking, who knows the condition of the others. Once repaired suggest flushing coolant system, or add a chemical corrosion prevention compound.

This are sold at autoparts and department stores having an auto parts section. It replenishes the exhausted corrosion chemicals in the coolant.

Old 07-10-2014, 08:49 PM

I am about to JB it as a quick fix, anything else will require pulling the manifold as I see it. I can get a finger in just far enough to get the JB on it so there is no way for me to get an accurate measurement. I will try to get a pic of it before I plug it just for sh..s and giggles. Yea, I am real concerned about the rest of the plugs, I am going to do a good flush before I am done here...and may be fill it with holy water!

Old 07-10-2014, 08:55 PM

BTW the plug in not in the block or the head it is in the intake manifold near where the h2o and iac sensors are.

Old 07-11-2014, 11:40 AM
Super Moderator

Drain out enough coolant to have the plug above coolant level and let it dry. Maybe a hair dryer might help.

JB has some tips on usage including thinning at the link below:

FAQs » JB Weld

Might build a dam to allow the material to flow into plug and stay until setting up.

Old 07-11-2014, 11:40 AM
Super Moderator

Drain out enough coolant to have the plug above coolant level and let it dry. Maybe a hair dryer might help.

JB has some tips on usage including thinning at the link below:

FAQs » JB Weld

Might build a dam to allow the material to flow into plug and stay until setting up.