General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Issues post 2007 Camry Hybrid battery replacement

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2022, 07:33 PM
Question Issues post 2007 Camry Hybrid battery replacement

Just had my 2007 Camry hybrid battery replaced. Days after getting the car back, I was backing out of my garage and heard a scraping sound on the ground. The two piece splash guard cover under the engine compartment was dragging on the ground where the two meet in the middle. I found that about 4-5 bolts for the cover were missing in various spots.

I was told by the dealership that they would not have had to access under the engine compartment when doing anything related to replacing the hybrid battery? Is that true? So nothing needed to be hooked up in the engine compartment? If that's the case and the bolts were not left off this time, it must have been on another servicing appt because the dealership is the only one that has serviced it all these years and to have 4-5 bolts missing does not sound like they just all shook loose and fell out.

The next issue is that my moon roof had no power to it, despite it working fine before the battery was replaced. Again, I was told that it had nothing to do with the hybrid battery replacement or having to disconnect the 12V battery.

I checked the fuse for the moon roof and it was fine and in securely. Thankfully, after putting the fuse back in, the moon roof started working again. Is there some sort of reset to the moon roof that the dealership needed to do, but didn't, after installing the hybrid battery or reconnecting the 12v battery?

Thanks for any insights on my experience post hybrid battery replacement.

Old 06-27-2022, 07:42 PM
Super Moderator

Disconnecting electrical power can cause all kinds of electrical issues. There are usually reset procedures for the sun roof, door locks, power windows, etc and the dealer knows all about these.

Check everything electrical for proper operation including key FOB operation and radio. If something is now not working right electrically, a cover was left unbolted, etc then have the dealer fix it at their expense!

The dealer failed to check all electrical items and left a few bolts out.

Old 06-28-2022, 02:35 PM

They are claiming they would have no reason to remove the splash guard under the engine compartment when replacing the hybrid battery. So, I wanted to know if replacing the hybrid battery located in the trunk would require them to remove the engine splash guard to perhaps hook something up in the engine compartment. I want to know if they are being truthful.

I got my moon roof to work again by removing the fuse and putting it back in. It was not loose at all, so apparently by taking it out and putting it back in, it had the effect of resetting the moonroof. Should they haven't known that it needed to be reset after disconnecting the 12v battery? Again, they are claiming the work they did should not have impacted the moonroof power. It's working again, but I just want to know if they are being dishonest or simply don't know what they are doing.

Old 06-28-2022, 04:07 PM
cj1

Lightyr- do you mind posting the repair order?
May be has some insight into this.

Old 06-28-2022, 09:20 PM

The invoice states:

Customer check engine light is on. Advise, diag and replace hybrid battery pack and repackage as hazmat. Clean fan and replace filter if needed.

At the bottom of the invoice, it says: Replaced hybrid battery and test drove to confirm repair. All operations normal after repairs.

The rest just lists the parts and labor costs.

Old 06-28-2022, 10:25 PM
Super Moderator

I can't comment on the splash shield but its a 5 minute job to re-secure it. The electrical issue seems related to disconnecting the battery to do the HV battery replacement. There is a way to maintain 12v power using a device plugged into the cigarette or power outlet. If this did this or not don't know.

I would not assume the dealer is dishonest and would assume they know what they are doing. They have the tools, training and parts to do the job. Perhaps they are understaffed for the work load which is common today with many businesses. They also may think they are right and just giving you the facts as they see it.

I speculate you paid a LOT of money to replace the battery! The least the dealer can do is spend a few minutes cleaning up the details and making a customer happy. Be polite but be satisfied.

Old 07-08-2022, 03:43 AM

i'm trying to fix a 2012 cam hyb. .. so far found a lead burnt due to heavy corrosion on the hybrid computer module, we are hoping the vsense harness is ok but that could be the next thing to be replaced .. i have cleaned the corrosion off the bus bars, of course any battyery makes some corrosion on the connections unless u have sealed them with something like petroleum jelly .. in a high heat and high humidity area (like where i'm at), this process gets worse faster...

snaptube vidmate

Last edited by Alpoi; 07-08-2022 at 05:29 PM.
Old 07-08-2022, 01:46 PM
Super Moderator

Suggest using dielectric grease which has a higher melting point and doesn't conduct electricity. There is also spray on from a hand spray can electrical varnish. Could clean the area then spray it with a few coats of electrical varnish.