General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

leaking radiator cap

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2012, 10:32 PM
Default leaking radiator cap

so i have this leaking radiator cap(don't know what else to call it) it's leaking so i took it down to the local dealership and they had NO clue what it was. was hoping someone here would know maybe? its the cap circled in the picture(attached). currently super glueing it together and filling it with a mixture to strengthen it and going to see if that works to fix it but its a little warped so most likely will need a actual replacement and if my current fix doesn't work i have a pbc pipe that seems like it'll make a perfect fix/replacement until i can get the actual piece.

Attached Thumbnails leaking radiator cap-rad.jpg  
Old 10-13-2012, 11:58 AM
Super Moderator

Year of car and engine model?

Is the part plastic and connected to the upper tank on the radiator which is also plastic.

Is the leak coming from a crack in the plastic?

Old 10-15-2012, 09:10 PM

2006 idk about the engine model....

the part is plastic and it is connected to the upper tank on the radiator.

the leak is coming because the plastic over heated(wtf i was getting a warning signal that it was running to cool) and warped the plastic a little and the threads on that plastic part had a hole in them and started leaking through that. currently how i have "fixed" the issue is i used some poxy that is water resistant and can stand up to 9000 psi and screwed in the piece of that port that i still had that wasn't completely broken off and filled it with the poxy.....it is still leaking a little but not nearly as much now it is down to a drop every two seconds. i'll be adding in some more poxy shortly to see if it stops it completely until i can get the replacement part though

Old 10-15-2012, 09:29 PM
Super Moderator

If the dealer can't find the part on their computer it is most likely not sold separately.

There are kits for repairing the plastic tank, a two part epoxy plus fiberglass cloth. Auto parts store sell these kits.