General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Limping From Leaded Fuel?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2007, 02:33 PM
Default Limping From Leaded Fuel?

Greetings to you folks...
I apologize for not introducing my self in the new subscribers area...but i need help badly.
I have a 2007 Camry LE (4 Cylinder)imported from the US to Nigeria. I currently have 9000miles on it and its gone in for oil chnage and tyre rotation at 5k miles.
It drove fine between Feb and August this year and handles like a beaut.
Unfortunately after a few weeks after a 600 miles journey engine check indicator comes on and i visit the toyota dealer who says it may be connected to the engine's response to leaded fuel. ie Car's engine is made to run on unleaded fuel as obtains in the states and may react badly to unleaded fuel.
Short while later car starts limping and throttling down at 60 mph... and this happens regularly and i am frustrated....cos the toyota's guy's verdict leaves little choice...can someone help???

Thinkist

Old 10-08-2007, 03:15 PM
Default RE: Limping From Leaded Fuel?

It sounds as if your catalytic converter is plugged due to the leaded gas. You may be able to remove the cat but if you have an after cat O2 sensor I don't think your computer control will work very well. Nigeria is supposed to be introducing unleaded gas into their market. Can you not find stations that will sell it? Other than that I would park your 07 and find one that burns leaded fuel.

Old 10-10-2007, 08:48 PM
Default RE: Limping From Leaded Fuel?

Definately plugged cat. Cannot run leaded fuel in these.