General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Major coolant dump all of a sudden? OVERHEATING.

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2007, 11:13 PM
Default Major coolant dump all of a sudden? OVERHEATING.

I just bought a 93 v6 camry last week. I was driving with the a/c on and i stepped out of the car at a gas station. A couple minutes later I notice a big puddle of coolant on the ground. It was justflowing out.

I brought it to the shop and they had determined I needed a new water pump (leaking within the timing cover). Got one installed.

Since it was installed about 5 days ago, it has done the same thing twice! The first time, I noticed the same problem with a huge puddle on the ground that seemed to have just formed out of no where. Along with thatmy car started to overheat.I refilled the radiator with water. It worked fine for two days with no signs of overheating or leaking. Tonight, the exact same thing happened accompanied with the overheating.What is wrong???

Sorry about the long first post, but it seems like an odd problem and I wanted to give out the details.

any help would be apprieciated.

Old 08-16-2007, 02:01 AM
Default RE: Major coolant dump all of a sudden? OVERHEATING.

Your coolant leak may be caused by a small by-pass hose under the throttle body. Replacing it should fix your problem. The throttle body should not have to be replaced. or;
You should have your car re-inspected. It may also be a toyota camry radiator hose leak.

Old 08-16-2007, 05:12 AM

You need to take it back to the place that did the WP as it looks like they did not diagnose it properly. They should do a pressure test which will allow them (and you) to see where the fluid is leaking from. I would negotiate a good price (maybe free) as they should have fixed it the first time.

Old 08-17-2007, 11:42 PM

ok so the car got pressure tested and there were no leaks. It's been determined that the coolant overflowed out resevior. I've been watching the car but it hasn't done it again. Does anyone know why such an amount of coolant would be getting pushed out? Maybe a control valve or something like that is the problem?

Old 08-18-2007, 05:05 AM

I suspect the shop did not vent all the air out of the system when they refilled after the WP install. Boiling over after shut down usually indicates bad rad cap and/or air in system. Since you have'nt had the problem since they pressure tested it I assume they/you topped up the coolant level. If they installed a new thermostat with WP they may not have positioned the vent in the therm. at the top. The vent allows air tofind its way to upper rad hose to be vented on initial fill. Stant thermostats don't use a jiggle valve for this they use a very tinyhole which is hard to see and easily installed wrong. I'm not sure how the upper rad hose is positioned on a V6. On an I4 its natural position is slanted up which allows air to travel out through rad cap. You may have to jack the car a certain way when doing a first fill to angle the upper rad hose to allow air to escape.