General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 08-26-2015, 03:53 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Exterior
Print Wikipost

Metal squeak noise from a rear wheel.

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2010, 11:54 AM
Default Metal squeak noise from a rear wheel.

(0) Camry 3.0 2005
(1) only when driving slow, disappears driving fast;
(2) disappears when brake applied;
(3) only after driving awhile, especially after brake;
(4) after pads and rotors were changed, still making noise;

(5) never had this for all my cars in >20 years, only this Camry

Thanks for advice.

Old 07-22-2010, 08:12 PM

there could be an anti rattle clip rubbing. or a bent backing plate.

Old 08-09-2010, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by blackey777
there could be an anti rattle clip rubbing. or a bent backing plate.

I checked it with the tire off. It doesn't look the anti rattle clip. I wonder if it the calliper piston that doesn't return back and the break pad touched the rotor lossly and made the noise.

The reason I guess this is because this wheel is much hotter than others after it had the noise.

Thanks.

Old 08-09-2010, 12:47 PM
Super Moderator

Could be a warped brake drum.

Old 08-09-2010, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by toyomoho
Could be a warped brake drum.
For the rear brake, the "brake drum" is itself the "rotor", right?

Old 08-09-2010, 06:44 PM
Super Moderator

Ops, disregard previous post!

What happens to the noise if you apply the parking brake when moving? If it makes a difference check the drum portion of the rear rotor that is used for the emergency brake.

It is possible for the piston to have retraction issues. As the pads wear the piston moves further out in the caliper. When new pads are installed the piston is now pushed back into the hole. The piston or hole could have some corrosion causing binding.

Check the slider pins on the caliper, this allows the caliper to float with the rotor. The pins may need cleaning and lubing with a lithium grease.

Old 08-11-2010, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by toyomoho
Ops, disregard previous post!

What happens to the noise if you apply the parking brake when moving? If it makes a difference check the drum portion of the rear rotor that is used for the emergency brake.

It is possible for the piston to have retraction issues. As the pads wear the piston moves further out in the caliper. When new pads are installed the piston is now pushed back into the hole. The piston or hole could have some corrosion causing binding.

Check the slider pins on the caliper, this allows the caliper to float with the rotor. The pins may need cleaning and lubing with a lithium grease.

Hi, Toyomoho: Thanks for the great advice.

I used the parking brake and it makes no difference. I think you're right, the noise is probably from the pad that touches the rotor due to the corrosive piston or slider pins. I googled the web and found the way of greasing the pins. If the piston had corrosion, it may be more difficult to fix.

By the way, I have a novice question: what is the mechanism to pull the brake pads back away from the rotor when the brake is released? I looked 100s images on the web, and didn't notice any spring or similar things on the caliper.

Old 08-11-2010, 09:56 PM
Super Moderator

I don't think there is any mechanic device that pulls the pads away from the rotors. When the hydraulic pressure on the piston is released the piston should back off slightly, there is always some drag of the pads on the rotors but not enough to cause problem.

If one caliper is much hotter then the other the piston may not be retracting or the slider pins are binding.

Try rotating the tire by hand, compare one side with the other for noise and drag. Remove the tire and rotate the hub by hand and determine if there is a difference.

Old 03-01-2011, 08:04 AM

i'm also havin the same problem with it for the past of couple months also. 93 lxe v6 rotor for my passenger rear. i havan't been around to check the break since it's still new on it. but could it also be an hot spot on the rotor?