General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Motor oil

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2015, 12:57 PM
Default Motor oil

From day one I have been using Amsoil signature series 0W-20 full synthetic. I have been using it as Amsoil recommends 25,000 per oil change and a new oil filter once a year. It dose seem like a lot of miles between oil changes, but I believe Amsoil must know what they are talking about and its been tested. A 65 dollar oil change is high but I feel that is 5 oil changes with normal oil. Has anybody else tried this oil out and if so what were your thoughts on this? Or ever if you didn't use this oil? I have 80,000 miles on the car and the engine is still clean and it uses 1/2 quart of oil between changes.

Old 01-02-2016, 09:44 PM
Super Moderator

Might visit www.bobistheoilguy.com as this vendors products are often discussed.

Is that 25K, 700 hours or 1 year for the oil products listed at their website?

If you do extend oil changes out, use a long life filter designed for extended oil change periods.

Old 01-03-2016, 07:27 AM

I don't keep track of hours and no way of doing so on my car My lawn mower has a hour meter on it and I do use that. On my car I go by miles and do have to say I get nervous about the oil change maybe closer the 15,000 to 20,000 mile mark. I do change the oil filter once a year and buy the oil filter from the same place of business I buy the oil from and assume I am getting the right filter.

Old 01-03-2016, 12:04 PM
Super Moderator

Don't know enough about Amsoil. Some people swear by it, others at it.

When Toyota switched to synthetic, they eventually increased the oil change interval to 10000 miles or a time limit. The 10000 interval is based on all kinds of driving.

My own opinion is if you want to be cautious is to use a cheaper name brand synthetic and change it every 10000 miles or what the car maker recommends.

Oil life is affected by many factors.

A drive of 200 miles results in much less degradation then 10 trips at 20 miles. A 25K drive is much, much easier on oil then a host of shorter drives.

Hours can count as one can be sitting for hours in traffic over time. Various contaminates build up in the oil plus the additives wear out, thus oil age once in service is a factor.

This is why marketing states up to 25K miles.

What type of driving do you do?

Oil can be analyzed based dielectric constant, acidity, chemical contain, etc. which is done in industry. Oil can wear out but it also becomes contaminated and overheated which in an extreme cause results in sludge.

As to the filter, if a can filter at the next change remove the can portion from the plate that screws onto the engine. Then examine the filter for signs of failing.

Old 01-03-2016, 01:06 PM

I do live in the rural part of the state so that makes most of my trips high speed 55+ MPH 10 miles plus with very little city or town driving. Being in the repair trade all my working life I do know what can happen to a vehicle that is under maintained. I can recall it was more of a problem in my earlier years and that's back into the middle 50's. Them older cars oil would get so bad that the engines would fill up with a black sludge. I believe the newer lubrications have come a long ways with improvements along with the modern engines.

Old 01-05-2016, 04:54 PM
Super Moderator

True! Yet the older cars engine oil was changed every 3000 miles. A 10000 mile oil change was hard for many to accept. A 25000 mile oil change is even more difficult.

Newer cars to as Toyota had a sludge issues for some engines in 90's.

One other thing is condensation in higher humidity areas for cars not driven daily. Check the dipstick and under oil filler cap for signs of a white material.

Old 01-23-2016, 05:36 AM

I use conventional oil and change every 4000 -5000 miles. I am one of those that find it hard to accept going longer between oil changes. Also when I empty my oil its kind of an inspection you can't do with a dip stick. You can spot shavings in oil, better detection of color with all the oil out or sludge as examples. Dropping 5 quarts of oil gives you a lot of information rather than waiting a year. For me it also makes me inadvertently spot other problems, Just my opinion.

Had problems with my cars but never the internal combustion system.

Valvoline Conventional 5W30 with FRAM

original owner
1999 ford contour svt - 180000
1995 Toyota camry - 185000
2003 suburban - 150000

Old 01-24-2016, 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by wdc123
I use conventional oil and change every 4000 -5000 miles. I am one of those that find it hard to accept going longer between oil changes. Also when I empty my oil its kind of an inspection you can't do with a dip stick. You can spot shavings in oil, better detection of color with all the oil out or sludge as examples. Dropping 5 quarts of oil gives you a lot of information rather than waiting a year. For me it also makes me inadvertently spot other problems, Just my opinion.

Had problems with my cars but never the internal combustion system.

Valvoline Conventional 5W30 with FRAM

original owner
1999 ford contour svt - 180000
1995 Toyota camry - 185000
2003 suburban - 150000

Yes I agree with you on this and have been doing my oil changes like that for most of the many years I have owned a car. But in my younger and foolish years I did have internal combustion problems. It wasn't the cars or oils fault but my own because of miss use of the car. Back in them early years I was always changing or building engines and drive trains. Not only my own but other peoples also. Now that I am retired and just don't like working on cars any more did I go to the 25,000 mile oil change with the full synthetic Amsoil. I have to say that since I have owned this Toyota its the car that that it just never any repairs, but if it ever dose I will be the person doing them. Also I don't misuse my cars anymore.

Old 01-24-2016, 12:56 PM
Super Moderator

Time and age (contamination) effect engine oils. Driving 25K in one year is different then over a period of years. Suggest following the Amsoil guidelines which is 25K or once a year.

Many people I know who once loved working on cars and have grown tired. Fortunately newer cars are more reliable, require less ongoing maintenance and have self diagnostics.

If your are looking to maximize car component life also keep up with trans and power steering fluid changes (if not electric steering). Toyota went to synthetic trans fluid that supposed to last 100K but it still wears out (as some have found the hard way).

Old 01-24-2016, 02:59 PM

I no longer push my car like I use to( Contour SVT). Blowing front bearings a few times. No fun pulling steering knuckle out, having the bearing pushed out and a new one installed. then reinstalling knuckle. What happened to the good old days where you could pull the bearing out and repack. Sorry off on a tangent but just reminiscing.

Quick Reply: Motor oil