General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My engine is falling apart!

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2022, 06:37 PM
Default My engine is falling apart!

Well, that’s a little dramatic. Specifically, a rough dirt road caused a hose and any attached valves to rattle off and end up on the side of the road somewhere. It connected to the air filter housing hose, but I can’t locate a diagram online that clearly identifies what fell off.

The engine idles rough now, as I’d expect, and dies when the RPMs slow down. I did go back down the road my wife was driving at the time, but I could not locate the part. I’ve attached a pic showing the spot behind the filter housing where it would attach.

This is a 2010 Camry LE 4cyl. Thanks for the help!

Old 11-01-2022, 08:46 PM
Super Moderator

Photo of hose?

Install hose in hole and find the radius its length extends to. Then look for a hole in the engine within the radius.

Old 11-02-2022, 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by toyomoho
Photo of hose?

Install hose in hole and find the radius its length extends to. Then look for a hole in the engine within the radius.
You're right, that would be the approach if I had the hose. I'm not sure what went there (a hose? a valve?) so I don't know where it could have connected. I'm really just trying to figure out what goes there so I know what to buy.

Old 11-02-2022, 10:27 AM
Super Moderator

No part then, OK.

It appears to be the PCV system hose that fell off. This is part of the engines emissions control system. This hose draws engine oil vapors out of the valve cover and sends them to the engine air intake hose to be burned in the engine. Hence the large hole in the hose as shown in the photo. If the hose is removed the additional air going into the engine was cause operational issues. A temporary fix start is to plug this hole. When plugging the hole make sure the whatever you use can not be drawn into the intake air hose and then into the engine. There is another hole in the valve cover. If the engine runs OK with the intake air hose hole plugged then don't plug this one as the engine needs to "breath".

Take off the plastic shield that is on top of the valve cover. This shield has the Toyota logo on it as shown in the photo. Its just a shield not the actual valve cover. The cover is held on by 2 small metric nuts. Once the cover is off look for the part as shown in the photo below.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...cv)+valve,5052

The part is a check valve the hose attaches to.

If all the above is true about the two holes then you want to find a PCV hose replacement when can also be called PCV hose, Hose Assembly Ventilation, breather hose.

Below may be your part but confirm this.

https://www.toyotapartsdeal.com/oem/...260-0v010.html

A Toyota dealer could get the part or there are aftermarket ones available and their parts person know the engine.

At Toyota online parts websites one can search for parts using the cars VIN number which will make sure only parts that fit your car show up on the listing. Search under "Hose Assembly Ventilation." If you find the right part start calling local Toyota dealers to determine if they have it on stock.

NAPA or other aftermarket parts store outlets should be able to get the part. If going to the part store take phone photos of both intake hole and the valve on the cover cover to show them. Or leave the plastic shield off and perhaps the parts person can view the engine.

Note an internet search will find a HOST of hoses of different types. You want the one that plugs into the hole in the intake manifold (has some kind of nipple connection to slide in securely) then the other end slides over the end of the PCV valve.

One should be able to safely operate the engine with the hole in the engine intake air hose plugged until the hose is obtained. You might get a engine check light but ignore it if the engine is operating normally.

Old 11-03-2022, 08:29 AM

Joey -- this is extremely helpful. Thank you for that.

I'll find these parts and report back. Also, after calling nearly every u-pull yard around, I finally found one that has a Camry with the same 2.5L. My main motivation there is to visually confirm that nothing else fell off in the process.

Thanks again.