General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 08-25-2015, 07:08 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Fuel System Guides
Print Wikipost

My fuel filter is stuck like chuck

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2008, 04:53 PM
Default My fuel filter is stuck like chuck

Hey I have a 1992 2.2 liter5-sp Camry. I'm trying to take out the fuel filter, located in down & in front of the brake power booster, you know under the hood. OK - the nuts that are holding the filter in place are just plain stuck. I've tried wd-40, leverage, etc and no-go.

I'm thinking about cutting the fuel rail with some bolt cutters, then just clamp some hoses on there with a fuel filter from the auto parts store. I'd rather not though. Really I'd like to remove the fuel filter legitimately.

Anyone have experience with this? Suggestions?

Old 06-02-2008, 06:22 AM
Default RE: My fuel filter is stuck like chuck

Big wrenches/sockets with back-up wrenches blocked against the engine. Bottom nut needs a flare nut wrench. Make sure you turn the bottom nut the right way as it is upside down. When was the fuel filter changed last? It may not need replacing, especially if you're not getting any performance problems.

Old 06-02-2008, 10:24 AM

No, there's definitely performance problems. It cranks over, but it won't start. I already checked the following:

fuel pump works
i have spark
i have compression

It started to run really lousy just before it quit. It sounded very weak.

Old 06-03-2008, 12:34 PM

I just did the FF on my '97 and it sucked!!! The only thing I can tell you is to use some type of penetrating oil (I used PB Blaster brand)and let it soak at least overnight if possible. I thought for sure I was going to have to make a new line, but it finally came loose and didn't even round the nut off! Be sure you're using a flare (AKA- line wrench) on that bottom nut.

Also I don't think you can use hose clamps and a rubber intermittent piece. Someone else on here could probably tell you for sure, but it's probably at too high of a pressure for hose clamps to hold. Carburated engines only ran like 6-8 psi, but fuel injection is much higher!!

Old 06-03-2008, 01:23 PM

Thanks for that info kitty78. I put some PB Blast on it last night. Also I got some "freeze & release" spray, that will freeze it and supposedly make it easier to twist. Yeah I keep hearing that its not safe to use rubber hose, also I keep hearing that I need to get a flare wrench.

I got some 5/16" fuel line hose just in case... also I got some "fuel line hose clamps"... anyone know if that will work?

Old 06-03-2008, 01:37 PM
Super Moderator

Typically this filter never needs replacing, even the service manual states this.

How long did the engine run before not starting, does the fuel pump have pressure and flow, was this a lack of power or idling rough? Typcially fuel starvation allows the engine to idle and run reasonable OK but results in poor acceleration.

As Pedro states use a flare nut wrench on the nut and a second to hold the filter. On the top nut use a 5-point socket or wrench not a 12-point.

The fuel pressure is normally around 40 psi but can raise to 60 if the pressure regulator fails. Thus use only high pressure fuel injector hose, the autoparts store should know what you are talking about.

Old 06-03-2008, 07:21 PM

Well I replace the fuel filter today and it still won't start. Toyomoho, your right about that. OK... yes the fuel pump is working, I can hear it. i have spark and compression. not sure what else to do?

Old 06-04-2008, 09:55 AM
Super Moderator

What were the symptoms before the car died, if any?

Try disconnecting the MAP sensor and starting the engine, any fuses blown. If you can remove the throttle air intake hose and spray some engine starter fluid while cranking. Determine if the engine trys to start even a gasp.

The fuel pump works when engine cranking then?