General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Need help with 1990 Toyota Camry (won't start)

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2010, 09:20 PM
Default Need help with 1990 Toyota Camry (won't start)

I was driving home and all of a sudden my car got really weak and started running very rough. By the time I pulled over it died and would never really start again. The timing belt is new and timing is good. The fuel pump is working, fuel filter is okay. The plugs are sparking blue. I bypassed the air intake and that didn't help so the problem doesn't seem to be there. I tried spraying ether into the fuel injector but it didn't make a difference. When I turn the ignition the car turns over and sounds perfectly normal. After a couple cranks it attemps to start but only manages to shudder and then quit. After turning over and trying to start for a bit it seems to backfire back into the injector and out the air intake and then the cycle starts over again. To me the problem seems to be in the fuel injector somewhere. The fuel is making it that far but must not be getting through because there is a good spark waiting for it. I don't know where to go from here though.

Old 01-15-2010, 10:13 PM
Super Moderator

A backfire in the intake system can be the result of a lean fuel/air ratio or ignition timing.

Does the fuel pump work when the engine is cranking and "running?"

Try jumping the pump. There may be a small box in the engine compartment on the passengers side shock tower labeled "Diagnostic." Open the box and jump the B+ and FP terminals to allow the pump to run when the ign key is on.

The fuel system should also have a fuel pressure regulator that could be bad.

It has happened that the timing belt jumps a tooth.

See Private Message.

Old 01-17-2010, 05:55 PM
Default thanks for the info

I will look into it and see if I can figure anything out.

Old 01-18-2010, 01:07 AM
Default wow

that link was awesome. i'm headed over to work on it tomorrow with some new ideas. thanks again.