General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newbie Help! Possible problems with Neutral Safety Switch - 94 Camry

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2010, 12:43 PM
Default Newbie Help! Possible problems with Neutral Safety Switch - 94 Camry

Hi everyone -

This is my first post in working with my Camry, so please bear with me. I have a 1994 Camry that, up until now, has been running alright. For the past couple of years, most of the time I'd have to wiggle the gear shift in order to get the car to start, but when I went out to start it this morning, I had no luck at all...

Some quick research has led me to the Neutral Safety Switch in these cars, and that that may be the culprit. Does anyone have any information on this part or what may be causing the problem I'm having, and if it's something that should be relatively easy to fix?

Thanks!
Zack

Old 01-19-2010, 08:00 PM
Super Moderator

The switch is located behind the shift lever arm on the trans. You should be able to this area with the hood up.

Try www.rockauto.com for a replacement.

Old 01-24-2010, 04:27 PM
Default Any difference starting in neutral position vs park?

I believe new Corollas can have this problem. Start it in neutral.

Old 01-26-2010, 09:58 AM

Does anyone happen to have a diagram or picture of where exactly it's located so I can find it easily?

Thanks!!

Old 01-27-2010, 09:00 AM

Good morning everybody.

Well I went to try to locate the neutral safety switch yesterday when I got home, but to be completely honest, I am lost. I have done some stuff on cars before, but I'm by no means a mechanic or consider myself an expert.

For the life of me, I was not able to locate the switch or at least what I thought appeared to be the switch based on pictures I had seen. I was under the impression that it was in a location in the engine that was relatively easy to locate and access, but I had no luck yesterday.

Can anyone please give me a little bit more information about where exactly its located and how I can find it? Also, any pictures would be great. Do I have to remove anything (battery, covers, etc) to access it? What part of it is exposed and how can I tell? Its one thing to see it and identify it through a picture on the web, but its another to actually find it on the vehicle itself.

Thanks again, I really do appreciate the help!

Zack