General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No fire

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2023, 06:27 PM
Default No fire

2008 Camry was running fine. Changed the valve cover gasket and sparkplugs and put a new terminal on the positive battery cable. Now it won't start. Codes P0351, P0352, P0353 & )0354. Placed a spark tester on the base of #4 coil and again on base of #3 coil. No spark on either coil. All fuses test good. Any suggestions as to what I might have messed up?

Old 08-29-2023, 09:03 PM
Super Moderator

Check ALT fuse.

Old 08-29-2023, 09:32 PM

We checked the ALT fuse and the other long blue multifuse beside it. Both were fine.

Old 08-30-2023, 02:10 AM
Super Moderator

For all ign coils.

Check for +12v at the brown ign coil wire when ign is on.

Check white/black wire is grounded to chassis. Each coil wire is bonded together then goes to chassis ground.

Check if all white/blue wires are connected together. From here the single wire goes to the ECU.

Check coil wire harness plugs are firmly connected at the ECU.

Not sure its possible but check if ign coil wiring plugs are swapped.

Old 08-30-2023, 07:46 AM

We saw the voltage/ground designation for the outside two wires on a video last night and that is one thing we plan to check this morning. I didn't know about the white/blue wires so I'll add that to the check list. The fourth wire is supposed to be carrying a signal back to the ECU if there is a coil problem. There may be something to check there because we are getting all four coil codes.

Old 08-30-2023, 09:48 AM

1st wire: 0 volts. No voltage on brown wire with the switch turned on.
2nd wire: 5 volts. All four of the white/blue wires are connected to each other
3rd wire: 1 volt. None of the green/purple wires are connected
4th wire: 0 volts. Zero ohms to chassis ground

Not having power to the brown wires is an obvious problem. I've got to research that. I would not expect the third wires to be connected because they report to the ECU separately.

We also are not hearing the fuel pump turn on when we turn the ignition switch on.

Last edited by Granpa49; 08-30-2023 at 10:45 AM. Reason: Added content
Old 08-30-2023, 11:52 AM
Super Moderator

Brown wire goes INJ fuse.

Does the car have a Smart key system?

Old 08-30-2023, 12:32 PM

No smart key. I checked the wires to the fuel pump and there is 12 v on the small grey wire (the one next to the pink wire). There is no voltage on the other three. I read somewhere that the large grey and the white wire were the power wires. On this car, at the moment, there is no power on either of those two wires when the key is on and there is no sound coming from the fuel pump.

We have tried the ECU reset procedure twice but with no avail. I found on one site how to reprogram the ECU. It requires jumping the #4 and the #13 terminals in the code port under the dash and letting the car sit for 30 minutes with the switch on. I was hesitant at first but I'm running out of ideas.

Update: I tried the procedure to reprogram the ECU. Everything went as described but the car still won't start.

Last edited by Granpa49; 08-30-2023 at 03:52 PM.
Old 08-30-2023, 07:26 PM
Super Moderator

Check 30A ST/AMT fuse.

Do the hazard lights work?

The fuel pump will only power on when the engine is cranking over or running.

Old 08-30-2023, 08:47 PM

In all of the fuse diagrams I've looked at for this car I haven't found a ST/AMT fuse. Which fuse box is that in? The one under the hood or the one under the dash? The hazard lights work. I'll check the fuel pump again tomorrow. When we checked it we were not cranking. I thought it would come one when the switch was turned on.

One person I talked to thought it might have something to do with the security system. We tried a couple of things addressing that. We tried turning the key in the door to the locked position, then to the open position and holding it there for 30 seconds. We tried leaving the key on in the ignition switch for 15 minutes, then off for three minutes, then back on again. Nothing has worked thus far.

Quick Reply: No fire