General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OK to Steam Clean Engine

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2011, 12:32 AM
Default OK to Steam Clean Engine

On a '94 V6, the engine is pretty dirty because of an oil leak on the valve cover gaskets.

A Toyota dealership suggests I have the engine steam cleaned. That scares me a bit, because of the electronics. Is steam cleaning an approved procedure?

Old 10-01-2011, 10:15 AM
Super Moderator

Who is doing the work you or the dealer?

The issue is in cleaning the engine water can get into the electrical harness connections or distributor and cause a non-start problem. The electrical components are not damaged.

If the dealer is cleaning the engine they are responsible for making sure it starts and runs OK.

If you are doing the work cover this distributor, coil and igniter with plastic bags. Direct the water away from any wiring connections.

Old 10-02-2011, 09:32 AM

The dealer wanted to do the job. One other thing. I was told by my mechanic that it would help to have the Throttle Body cleaned.

But that would be a dismantle job, and not effected by external steam cleaning, right?

I've got 128K on the odometer, so is a low mileage car for a '94.

Old 10-02-2011, 11:17 AM
Super Moderator

How does the engine run, idle OK, etc? If OK then the TB may not need cleaning.

Cleaning the TB requires removing the large diameter air intake hose at the TB. The TB is still bolted to the intake. Throttle body cleaner is sprayed into the intake bore and throttle valve. Some people also use a tooth brush to scrub the side, plate, etc. You can also clean the IAC valve.

Most owners do not go beyond this cleaning method as to go further is too much work and this method seems to solve most problems.

An internet search should produce hits on cleaning the throttle body and IAC valve. It's an easy DIY job.

Old 10-02-2011, 07:25 PM

Engine idles smoothly, and revs well. My mechanic ( who speaks no English)replaced the plugs with regular plugs instead of Platinum. The only downside is that I rarely get it out on a highway or freeway, so they load up.

I'll take it out for a barn-burner ride and see if that doesn't improve things. And to hell with the dirt in the engine compartment.

The Camry is being painted this week. Same color. With an interior detail job and a repair to the passenger seat, it will be like brand new. I got the wheels detailed and new tires last month.

Did I mention that it is a 2-door. It has the lines of many of the Lexus coupes from the late '90s. And because I hear a bit too much of road noise through the floors, I think I'll have the carpeting replaced.