General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

One Mechanic says Fuel pump, two others say I don't think so...

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2007, 11:57 AM
Default One Mechanic says Fuel pump, two others say I don't think so...

For the last 8 weeks I have had a starting issue with my car. I put the key in, I turn it to start, she starts....then dies. All lights come on the dash and no engine...I would turn the key again...and she would start just fine and no driveablity issues. this normally only happened in the mornings. I decided to have the fule filter replaced, but that didn't seem to solve the issue. Over the last 8 weeks it's gotten progressively worse. I have taken her in and they scanned the computer and got nothing. EGR valve is working fine. I have done a Lucus treatment, that hasn't changed anything. Now it takes three or more times to start her up EVERY time I go to start her. And sometimes if I don't let her warm up to the halfway mark on the temp gage, when I drive her she will do the whole turn off thing or try to. Normally if I pump the gass she works fine. Took her into a shop, they say fuel pump and want bucks for it. Called a few other places...they aren't convinced. Additional Details

48 seconds ago
One actually specializes in Toyotas.

Car: 1990 Camry, 4 cylinder, 2.0 EFI engine.
New Parts (replaced in the last year):
Timing Belt
Water Pump
Muffler
Fuel Filter
EGR moduel

This all started within a week of me having the Muffler replaced and when it was 107 degrees out. Now that the temp is getting cooler, it's getting harder and harder to start her.

Suggestions please

Old 09-26-2007, 02:11 PM
Default RE: One Mechanic says Fuel pump, two others say I don't think so...

It does not sound like a fuel pump, but until someone checks pressure they're not going to be able to know. It looks like a too-little-fuel-when-engine-cold issue. That could be an engine coolant temp sensor problem causingatoo lean fuel mixture. Not sure on a 91 how the cold start fuel mixture is set but I would lookthere first. If you have a separate cold start injector then that could be the problem with the temp sensor. If the ECU is using the signal from the temp sensor to hold the injectors open longer on cold start for a richer mixture then I would also test the coolant temp sensor. If that's okthen maybe it's something in the ECU circuit. Ithink it's possibleto have the shop checkdwell opening of injectors and compare to spec, but someonewith more experience would be better able to help on that. The fact that you are able to pump the pedal to keep it goingpoints me to cold start circuit. Theotherpossibility is the high idle circuit, probably in the idle air control, but holding the throttle open without pumping does not seem to keep it going - true? I would start by checking the engine coolant temp sensor. You will either have to measureresistance or voltage drop with a volt/ohm meter and compare it to spec.

Old 09-27-2007, 09:02 AM

So yesterday afternoon, I went to the parking lot. I turned it on w/o starting. Then off...then on....then off...turned the key. She started and then nothing. Waited a 30 seconds, started her up and she started and stayed on. I then had to wait a good 5 to 10 mins for her to heat up and reach the half way point on the temp gage on the dash. I have noticed that if she is even slightly below the half way point, she will have some driving issues. I drove her to a gas station, filled her up, and added a quart of oil. Started her up and she drove just fine. Went to my other job where she sat for 5 hours, did the on/off thing, started her up and she did the same thing as before. When she started doing this it was a week after I got the new muffler and exhaust, and the temp here in Arkansas was 107. she would only do it in the mornings too. But now that it's getting cooler she seems to be doing it more. I'm seriously at my wits end. I have had her computer scanned TWICE and they get no codes. We though it might be a clogged EGR valve, but that seemed to have cheked out. It's like once she is warmed up, she drives fine, it's the first 15 mins or so after starting her up after sitting for a while that are the issue. And now I have on mechanic who is telling me that its the fuel pump going bad and two others telling me either the pump works or it doesn't. She also vibrates ALOT when I'm stopped at a stoplight or stop sign. And normally if she decides to die while driving, it's when I'm leaving that dead stop and going into gear that she dies. And the sound it makes, like it's choking for air. Though I have noticed that when I start her up and keep her up in the morning and am waiting for her to warm up, if I press the gas pedal I can hear a noise that is similar to someone squirting liquid out of a squirt bottle. Or sometimes like someone is pouring a liquid into a glass.[/align][/align]Hope that helped.[/align]

Old 09-27-2007, 12:22 PM

Re-read my previous post. The answer will not come magically, it will come with testing some components.