General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Phantom Vibration on Rebuilt 2.4L engine

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2012, 04:39 PM
Default Phantom Vibration on Rebuilt 2.4L engine

Hi guys,

New to this forum, but would love some input on a vibration problem. My car is an 02 Camry LE with manual transmission. I recently had someone (shadetree mechanic type person) do a head job on my 2.4. This was a junkyard engine that was not running, so he pulled the head, replaced valves and got it running. It actually is running good except for a vibration, esp at lower rpms while driving. It idles well, accelerates well, and generally appears to be a good repair except for a dashboard rattling vibration. I found a damaged upper motor mount which I replaced with a brand new one - no difference. I haven't fully inspected the lower mounts yet, but would welcome any other suggestions. This is my 5th Camry and I am excited about finding this group.

Joe, the Pumpman

Old 01-05-2012, 09:04 AM
Super Moderator

The vibration stated after the repairs?

Old 01-05-2012, 11:06 AM

Yes. My daughter is studying auto mechanics at a local school, and so when we replaced the original engine with a junkyard engine, the students took first crack at it. They got the engine successfully mounted, but were unable to get it running correctly. The mechanic at the junkyard took the head off, had it rebuilt at a machine shop, and put it back together. I guess what I'm asking is that is there any balancing type apparatus associated with removing and reinstalling the head that might cause an engine vibration? My daughter is going to put the car on a lift this weekend and get her workmates to help her inspect the mounts. Any other ideas?

Old 10-01-2021, 10:47 PM

[QUOTE=Pumpman;68685]Yes. My daughter is studying auto mechanics at a local school, and so when we replaced the original engine with a junkyard engine, the students took first crack at it. They got the engine successfully mounted, but were unable to get it running correctly. The mechanic at the junkyard took the head off, had it rebuilt at a machine shop, and put it back together. I guess what I'm asking is that is there any balancing type apparatus associated with removing and reinstalling the head that might cause an engine vibration? My daughter is going to put the car on a lift this weekend and get her workmates to help her inspect the mounts. Any other idedrives haft.

Just remember to install oem mounts because the after market mounts will make it vibrate