General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Piston soak, scoping the cylinder before and after

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2015, 10:47 PM

OK, scoped the tops of the pistons and took a look inside the valve cover today, then set in a Kreen soak. Tomorrow I will blow out the Kreen from the cylinders, then scope the piston heads again to see what effect it had. Then I will put about .5 quart into the oil and a pint into the gas tank and run it for 500 miles or more, then open it all back up and see what we see.

Name:  DSC00526_zpsl34prjmm.jpg
Views: 3629
Size:  420.4 KB

Name:  DSC00525_zpsfepbtie4.jpg
Views: 3697
Size:  362.7 KB

Name:  DSC00535_zpsgshr1dgm.jpg
Views: 3699
Size:  363.8 KB

Old 02-02-2015, 12:09 AM
Super Moderator

Very cool! I'm really looking forward to how this comes out. Thanks so much for keeping us all informed!
Can't wait for the results!

Old 02-02-2015, 08:34 AM

Because one of the ignition coil wire ends broke, I am on ice on it until the repair kit comes in later this week. But I did crank over the cylinders this morning to blow out solvent, which I think had just soaked right out of the cylinder (I did not put much as the can called for 1 oz only). I scoped them again this morning and they look the same to me. I'll process video tonight after work and get a better look, but I think the real money will be after the oil add (putting the Kreen in the oil). Not really important to me what the tops of the pistons are, as long as the rings get de-crudded.

Sadly my borescope does not seen to be able to bend enough to get great views inside there, and the angle attachment is sort of sucky, but I'll try it again later

Old 02-15-2015, 03:10 PM

Dumped some Kreen in the oil and in the gas today. Will drive it all next week (about 500 miles), then will check the valve cover and piston heads again, and post up.

Just FYI - the car sat for 2 weeks and I had done a heavy soak on the pistons. Had a hell of a time cranking it over once I had it all buttoned up. Started making me think I had screwed something up with my coil repair. But in the end it fired up, ran rough for several seconds, then went smooth. We'll see how it rides with the oil and gas all sovlented up.

Old 02-18-2015, 12:35 AM
Super Moderator

Again, keep us posted and thanks for sharing.

Old 02-21-2015, 06:30 PM

Ran for a little over 400 miles with a bit over half quart of Kreen in oil, rest in gas. The can calls for a full quart to run for about 30 minutes then do an oil change, so I changed the oil, put in a full quart to abot 3 quarts oil, and drove to a family function (about an hour drive). Drained and refilled with Mobil1 0-20. I scoped cylinder 3 and saw shiny metal on some places . I did not dump as much Kreen in the gas as was called for, but think I will buy more. I'll post the video later. Tomorrow, if I am not snowed out, I will lift the valve cover to see if there is any notable difference after this oil experiment.

Old 02-21-2015, 10:03 PM

Cylinder 3 after some Kreen treatment. Not as much as was specified should be placed in gas tank, so will buy more and put in the pint per 5 gallons as recommended, run a full tank down, then scope again. 400 miles of .5 quart Kreen in oil, drain/refill, 1 quart Kreen in oil for 50 miles, drain/refill.

Old 02-23-2015, 12:53 AM
Super Moderator

Thanks for sharing. Keep up the good work and us posted.
It seems hard to see a lot of difference from here so far.

Old 02-23-2015, 05:40 PM

Thanks, and yeah, not much de-carbonizing that is apparent. But, I did not put in the full amount specified (in the gas tank) and there are a lot of miles on it, so would have been something to see a big difference on the top of the piston. I am more interested in the oil run, as I exceeded the can spec for that. I am very interested in watching for any drop in oil consumption or any bumps in mpg. Theoretically my rings are now in better shape so we will see. If it wasn't for the fact it was 14 degrees F this morning, snowing, with howling winds (going to be that way for some time now the weather folks say) I would take that valve cover off and look for any visible differences there. But that will have to wait for the weather to accommodate me!

Old 02-23-2015, 11:41 PM
Super Moderator

I understand about the weather! It's -5 here now and the wind is howling! I've been meaning to change the wipers and replace a tail light bulb but I value my fingers!
Thanks as always for posting back and we look forward to the update.

Quick Reply: Piston soak, scoping the cylinder before and after