General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Please someone help me this is driving me crazy!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2009, 02:07 PM
Default Please someone help me this is driving me crazy!!!

92 camry stalling/idle sometimes around 2000
So this is what happen...car started stalling while coming to a stop or at idle...then a few weeks later the car was completely dead...new distributor and now it starts...
This is what i did to the car so far but still have no luck!!!!
distributor
coil
distributor cap and rotor
spark plugs
spark plug wires
coolant temp sensors(all 3 senors)
fuel regulator
fuel filter
waterpump
timing belt(had timing checked 3 times..everything was fine)
Check engine light was on for knock sensor...Changed knock sensor nomore light...
cleaned egr system(wasnt clogged up but still cleaned it)
cleaned idle control valve
changed tps from a working car(made no difference)

PLEASE SOMEONE HELP ME THIS IS DRIVING ME CRAZY!!!

Old 06-14-2009, 07:25 AM

Have you checked fuel pressure when this happens? After stall does car re-start and run ok? Water in fuel?? Changed gas stations?

Old 06-18-2009, 09:06 AM

I will have to check fuel pressure this week...after it stalls it does restart and will continue to stall out...I cant even drive the car up the street without it dying like 5 times

Old 06-20-2009, 02:40 PM

Hi, I don't know if this is it, but I told my mechanic about a similar problem with my '98 Camry LE. Occasionally when I start it in the morning, there is no idle (just dies). I have to hold my foot on the gas just to back it out of the garage. It corrects itself while driving, but sometimes the idle races. The next day/week, will be fine but then it happens again one morning.

My mechanic said it is a common problem here in California (something to do with the California gasoline not being compatible with Camrys). Said it was some kind of gas regulator that needed to be replaced to adapt with the California regulations (unless I heard him wrong). He said he hears of this problem often, and that the part costs about $320.00 + labor. I can wait for awhile as the problem hasn't gotten bad enough yet to replace.

This might be your problem as well. Good luck!

Old 06-20-2009, 08:11 PM

This sounds like a vacuum leak to me. Check to see that all of the vacuum lines are connected and are not cracked or broken. You pulled the EGR valve, did you check the operation of the EGR valve with a vacuum pump? Did you make sure that the EGR valve closes all the way? Did you reinstall with a new gasket and tighten it down? You could check for a vacuum leak with a can of starting fluid, spray it on the intake runners where the intake bolts to the head and other likely places for vacuum leak, if RPM goes up, you found your leak. I hope this helps, good luck.

Dave