General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PO171, PO441, and PO455 after some simple service

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2010, 01:25 AM
Default PO171, PO441, and PO455 after some simple service

Changed the Oil and oil filter on the wifes camry. Figured I'd go ahead and put in a new air filter too. In the end I'm getting these three codes now:

PO171 - system running lean
PO441 - Evap incorrect purge flow
PO455 - Evap leak

The car seemingly runs just find although I need to fix whatever I've done. I've rechecked all the fittings around the air filter and dont see any damage or loose connections. Its a relatively new car so, I would find it hard to believe that a hose is cracked somewhere already. Oh, and initially after these codes appeared... after filling up the gas tank the car would have a rough time starting and holding an idle for the first minute or so but, for the rest of that tank of gas ran fine till it was uncapped and filled again. NOW though, there's no problems filling up and starting her. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Edit : oh yeah, its a 2007 camry LE, 4cyl, 5-speed

Last edited by hyperzone; 01-05-2010 at 01:30 AM. Reason: additional info
Old 01-05-2010, 01:29 PM
Super Moderator

P0441 Evaporative Emission Control System Incorrect Purge Flow
P0455 Evaporative Emission Control System Leak Detected (Gross Leak)

The fuel tank is sealed to prevent gasoline emissions. The charcoal canister absorbs any gas fumes, stores them. The fumes are then directed to the engine to be burned when running. The system has a pressure sensor to detect if the tank remains pressured. If the tank depressurizes, codes are tripped indicating an air leak somewhere or one of the system components is not working.

In this case the charcoal canister, lines or valves-low pressure in canister are not purging OK due to a large vacuum leak.

Could be a vacuum hose is cracked, blocked, etc charcoal canister leak, cracked, fuel tank overflow check valve leak. Check the gas cap to make sure it is tightly installed.

Possible an emission system vacuum line could have been pulled off during the oil change.

Code P0171.

For some reason the A/F is running lean. The ECU is compensating for this by adding extra fuel (running the system richer then the ECU states the engine should be when normal).

The engine is balanced on the lean side, meaning the engine is running too rich. Issues that can cause this code are: Exhaust or air intake leaks, fuel pressure, injectors, engine coolant sensor, O2 sensor (Bank 1 or 2, Sensor 1), MAP or MAF sensor.

If not something simple the emission system including EVAP system should have a 36K or 36 month EPA mandated warranty period. Don't overfill the gas tank after the gas pump shuts off.