General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

power locks but no remote

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2008, 10:53 PM
Default power locks but no remote

When we bought our '02 Camry it came with power locks but no remote device. It seems like most of what you would need to have remote opening is there but I am not a Toyota service guy so I'm not sure. I did a search in this forum but didn't come up with an answer to this question.

Is it possible to make our Camry have remote controlled power locks? Just need the right fob? A receiver? Expensive?

Thanks

Old 10-31-2008, 11:41 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: power locks but no remote

Are you sure the car does not have remote power locks and that the FOB was lost, this has happened.

Cars were offered having remote locks and remote locks with a theft prevention system.

It is possible to change to a remote system. A Google search should turn up hits on vendors selling add-on remote lock kits. This kits typically include an alarm system, not that difficult to install.

You may be able to order a kit from Toyota, Toyota offered dealer installed theft systems typcially called a VIP XXXX system. The system number varied with model but had the letters VIP.

Ebay from time to time has these systems.

If do buy a system get a decent one. Viper is supposed to be OK. Cost is under $200, the Toyota system was around $350.

Old 11-01-2008, 01:29 PM

Thanks for the response Toyomoho!

I wondered about the lost fob as well. We bought the car used so we just got what we got from the dealer (no fob). Is there a way to tell if it has the system installed? If so, how would we get a new fob, go to a dealer?

Old 11-01-2008, 02:30 PM
Super Moderator

Don't know. The owners manual seems to imply all cars came with a FOB.

Does this car have a security LED?

Old 11-01-2008, 02:51 PM

There is a blinking light in the instrument panel if that is what you mean. The wife is out with the car right now so I can't take a look to tell you more. I will say that I thought all Camry's came with remote locks but this is our first Toyota so I'm no expert.

Old 11-01-2008, 03:05 PM
Super Moderator

You might be right.

Others have been in this situation. The issue is finding the right FOB, Toyota had several varations over the years.

A replacement FOB will need to be programmed to the body computer to be reconized. You should be able to this if you have the directions which should come with the FOB or can be found on the internet.

Suggest for FOB's a Google search on you make, model and year. Amazon has listed FOB's, ebay, etc. The Toyota dealer may be able to help but typically they charge a lot more then aftermarket units.

Old 11-01-2008, 08:13 PM

I decided to call the local Toyota dealer/service department and I talked to one of the service reps. He tried to find out by entering in the VIN but I guess it didn't tell him anything definitive. He said to bring it by and he'd see what he could find out. I guess it's worth a shot.

Thanks for the advice,
Larry

Old 11-02-2008, 08:01 PM

The camrys I have had in the past, as well as the current one that I bought used have come with Two key FOBs. I would have thought you should have gotten at least one of them when the former owner turned the keys over. Anyway my mother had a FOB replaced a couple years ago thru the dealer and I thought it was rather expensive. But it was OEM and programmed for her car so I guess that's all that mattered. Sorry to hear about your inconvenience, Good Luck!