General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Old 08-28-2015, 05:04 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Steering & Suspension
Print Wikipost

power steering makes noise

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2011, 10:34 PM
Default power steering makes noise

okay problem here. i always thought it was the a/c compressor making this noise, but now i think i centered it to the power steering pump or the system. not sure whats going on entirely. i replaced both belts on the car, so theres new belts.. it makes a whine when you first start after sitting, then after 10 seconds or so, it goes away for good, until it sits again. if you push on the gas and idle it higher, itll clear up faster. i havent noticed any leaks in the system. I drained the resevoir and add some sealstuff/ etc. and topped it off got most the air our by turning left and right, but its louder now, but still goes away after 10 seconds, no play in the steering, no stiffness, may feel a little looser, but i dont think its that though. i know cars make noise on colder mornings, sometimes. but this is pretty consistent. should i think on replaceing this pump? could it be one of the lines.. that doesnt let fluid back in until you build pressure up... dont know if thats possible, but a theory i thought of. any ideas would be appreciated thanks!

Old 12-01-2011, 11:11 PM

I've been hearing a lot of noise problem on their car... probably replacing pump would work because it happened to me once and did the same and it work for me.

Old 12-02-2011, 10:41 AM
Super Moderator

Any chance it's the belt?

Changing the fluid was a good idea but unless the pump was leaking suggest not adding chemicals.

You might do several drain and refills driving in between to circulate the fluid. After a number of changes the fluid should be in good shape.

Given the power steering rack/pinion only moves when you turn the wheel, the pump has a pressure release valve to bypass fluid when not needed.

Old 12-02-2011, 09:41 PM

buy a mechanic stethoscope!! it's like 6 bucks walmart. or harborfreight. don't have 6 bucks? cut a suitable length of garden hose, and use it as stethoscope.

Old 12-04-2011, 09:34 PM

ive replaced the belt. im not sure if there is any leak. looked like light fluid on one of the lines, but the resevoir was never really looked low or leaking that fast. its the pump making noise.. but wasnt sure if something leading to the pump/ or away could cause the problem,o r jsut to replace the pump. i might jsut try to get through winter and replace the pump when it warms back up.