General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear defogger/defroster hinders FM reception? 1998 MY

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2007, 06:08 AM
Default Rear defogger/defroster hinders FM reception? 1998 MY

[sm=smiley25.gif][sm=feedback.gif]
Have you experienced any interference with your FM reception while using the rear window defogger/defroster?

[sm=smiley13.gif]I've got a 1998 that's doing this right now. Basically, it causes the tuned station to fade in and out and sometimes it will be just steady static (if the defroster has been on for a minute or two and really heated up).

I recently bought the car and don't know much about the model's "quirks". I initially thought thatthis may be normal (i.e. expected) for the model; however, upon review of the owner's manual, I see no mention of this interaction between the defroster wires and the FM antenna.

[sm=thanx.gif]

Old 10-03-2007, 08:54 AM
Default RE: Rear defogger/defroster hinders FM reception? 1998 MY

The switch incorporates a timer andactuates the defogger relay. Not much else to it except the window wiring. It sounds like you are getting a bad connection that is arcing creating the radio static. Not sure how to trace it down except to replace switch or relay. Maybe a broken window wire is creating the static?? You can measure voltage at the defogger wires using a piece of foil as a contact point for a volt meter. Cheap first check would be the window wires. Haynes should outline the test procedure.

Old 10-03-2007, 10:38 AM

ORIGINAL: pedro

The switch incorporates a timer andactuates the defogger relay. Not much else to it except the window wiring. It sounds like you are getting a bad connection that is arcing creating the radio static. Not sure how to trace it down except to replace switch or relay. Maybe a broken window wire is creating the static?? You can measure voltage at the defogger wires using a piece of foil as a contact point for a volt meter. Cheap first check would be the window wires. Haynes should outline the test procedure.
[sm=thanx.gif]Thank you for the quick reply and detailed suggestionsPedro.

Old 11-19-2007, 12:45 AM

diver1972
Any lucktracking down the cause ofthis? I'm encountering the same issue. Thanks.

Old 11-29-2007, 01:15 AM

ORIGINAL: PatrixUSA

diver1972
Any lucktracking down the cause ofthis? I'm encountering the same issue. Thanks.
Sorry for the delayed reply.[]

I've actually not yet done anything to troubleshoot it besides carefully visually inspecting the wires (as pedro suggested). I didn't find any broken or bent wires. I stopped the troubleshooting there because I rarely run the defogger and it's only a minor inconvenience when I do; plus, I don't want to invest any more time or money (i.e. buy a voltmeter andthe Haynes manual) in troubleshooting such a minor (for me) and harmless problem.

I hope this helps at least alittle.Good luck with your troubleshooting and I'd be interested to hear your findings on yours.