General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Removing windshield wipers

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2006, 03:43 PM
Default Removing windshield wipers

Hello,
My mom asked me to repaint her windshield wiper arms on her 98 Camry. I was looking at the wiper arms and have no clue how to remove them as they're entirely different than the ones on my 64 Fairlane that my dad and I restored. Can someone please help me out on how to remove them? Thanks.

Old 06-23-2007, 05:29 PM
Default RE: Removing windshield wipers

Hey man I have a 1998 camry also but doing the same thing... My buddie told me to undo the bolt and spray some WD 40 and pull it up... and when putting it back to just add a little bit of grease.. I have not tried it yet I wanted to get some confirmation but if I do it soon ill repost to let you know.

Old 06-23-2007, 08:27 PM
Default RE: Removing windshield wipers

right where the wiper arm pivots at the bottom there is a nut that secures it to the wiper linkage.Unscrew the nut. This is tricky to describe but I'll do my best... you want to grab the bottom part of the wiper arm between the hinged part and where it piovts (where the nut is) and you want to pull up and push down back and forth kind of rocking it back and forth firmly towards and away from the windshield and it will pull off. There is no need for wd40 but it might make it a little easier.

I would NOT recomend greesing it before putting back together. When you tighten the nut with the arm on your pressing the hole in the arm around the tapered stud and the tighter they press together the more grip the linkage has with the long arm. If you make it slippery the stud is likely to just spin inside the arm so it doesn't move or barely moves with no power. If you use wd40 to help in removal I would make sure the hole in the wiper arm and the stud are as dry as possible. For the same reason that they press together that nut has to be tightened quite a bit but be careful not to torque it too much cause it will break off. I usually use a short wrench it put quite a bit of elbow greese in it. if you use a long ratched or wrench you'll ofcourse need less power. might want to get torque specs and use a torque wrench to be safe.

Good luck and let us konw how it works. Oh and you'll need to sand down the wiper arms to make paint stick to them cause the metal is like chrome and is way too smooth.