General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacing the Harmonic Balancer

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2009, 08:41 PM
Default Replacing the Harmonic Balancer

Hey Guys - love this forum for all the insight that you've given me (directly and indirectly) as I try to keep my '95 4-cylinder camry running past 200k.

My current issue:
It all apparently started when I drove through an unavoidable puddle (rather large). After driving through the puddle, I noticed two things - a distinct whine and a battery light coming on every so often. I drove the car for a few more miles home, popped the hood, noticed a very loose belt and a charred positive battery terminal. I proceeded to replace the accessory belt and battery. Neither problems went away. After further inspection I noticed that the grooves were missing on the harmonic balancer. My guess is that the seal between the diameter of the balancer and the grooves dried out and got blasted off by the puddle. Whether or not that is how it actually came off is not too important.

I ordered a new harmonic balancer and have the harmonic balancer tool ready for replacement.

Have any of you guys replaced this before? What kind of job am I looking to get myself into here?

thank you guys!

Old 03-24-2009, 09:41 PM
Super Moderator

The AutoZone website at www.autozone.com should have something on changing the timing belt which requires removing this pulley.

You may need need to sign up to use the site info (was not required in the past) but the site has a lot of good info.

The drive belts for the power steering, alt/AC, etc need to be removed. The pulley needs to be held while the crank bolt rotated (right hand thread).

To do so, use a strap wrench or bolt a section of wood on the pulley face using the two threaded holes on its face. Drill a hole in the wood for the crank bolt socket.

Make the section of wood is long enough that when the pulley rotates it binds up with the chassis or floor.

If the pulley does not slide off by hand, use a puller.

Bolt install torque is 80 ft lbs.