General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Revs and jerks hard when put into reverse

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2023, 03:33 PM
Default Revs and jerks hard when put into reverse

Hello. I picked up a 2002 Camry se 3.0L with 190,000 miles a few weeks back for my son’s first car. I know the previous single owner. It was always dealer maintained with all the records. Anyway, on 3 separate occasions, it has revved and jerked rather hard going into reverse. Twice coming from park and once coming from drive.
One time it was just after starting, so the tach was at about 1700 but coming down. The other two were after it was at operating temp.

I checked the fluid cold and at temp both times it was at the respective fill lines. The color still has some decent red to it. I am planning on changing it soon. I don’t see any records of it being changed in all the paperwork Going to drop the pan and change the filter. And then after filling the pan back with same amount that comes out, I was thinking I’d use the tranny’s pump to pump out a quart then pump in a quart and repeat until the fluid is nice and new. (I’ve had better luck with this in higher mileage cars vs. using the machines that force the fluid throughout the systems.).

From its last inspection, the dealer notes several things it needed, which the old owner didn’t do. So I started there. And basically, all the suspension parts in the front and rear have been changed with a few exceptions. Then had new tires put on, balanced and alignment done. It’s rides very nice again.

I also did a smoke test to see how the vacuum lines were. There was no leaks that we could see
My scanner doesn’t show any codes or abnormal readings. Of course, it may have something to do with older fluid, but I will be changing that soon to see if that helps. But I’d love to hear your thoughts on another ideas to check.
Thanks.

Old 03-29-2023, 10:03 AM
Super Moderator

Are you stating the engine idle RPM Is normal in park then revs up between park and reverse, or you put the trans in reverse and the engine revs up then the trans engages?

The cars computer is tied into the shifter and as such the engine idle should adjust to the trans being in neutral/park or a gear.

Old 03-29-2023, 11:18 PM

Thx for the reply. It’s more like the 2nd one above. RPM’s are normal for the condition, ie cold or operating temp, then As soon as I put it in R, it revs pretty good then it engages. Rather harsh actually. But it also seems to keep revving a bit. Once, I had to hold the brake pretty hard before it stopped moving. I’d say an extra couple seconds it revved while in reverse and trying to move.

Last edited by dodaman; 03-30-2023 at 01:26 AM.
Old 03-30-2023, 12:15 PM
Super Moderator

The engine may still use something called an Air Intake Control (IAC) valve to control idle. If so clean the valve. The internet will have video's on how to do this.

Old 03-30-2023, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by toyomoho
The engine may still use something called an Air Intake Control (IAC) valve to control idle. If so clean the valve. The internet will have video's on how to do this.
yeah I thought of that, too. My engine does not have the normal one that is under the throttle body. It’s off the intake plenum I had it off and cleaned it when I changed VC gaskets. Hmm. I could give it another go or replace. Let the fun begin. Thanks.

Old 03-31-2023, 11:20 AM
Super Moderator

Have no real answer.

Is this issue engine hot or cold? Does it happen when going from Neutral to Drive? Have you tried starting the engine in neutral if possible and going in Reverse? How is the idle in neutral?

Some state disconnecting the battery resulted in an idle relearn for the positive. Do know that engines with IAC's can have all kinds of idle issues after a battery disconnect but things settled down to normal reasonable quick.

Any trans issues such as flare-engine over rev when shifting gears, etc?

Old 04-01-2023, 11:42 AM

Have no real answer.

Is this issue engine hot or cold? Does it happen when going from Neutral to Drive? Have you tried starting the engine in neutral if possible and going in Reverse? How is the idle in neutral?

well it only has happened going into reverse. Never drive so far🤞🏻. It’s done it both when hot and cold. But worse when cold. It idles good in neutral. I’d say 650 rpm range. Fluctuates a bit of a kid is out on it. Defrosters, heated seats turned on etc. I haven’t tried the neutral start idea.

Some state disconnecting the battery resulted in an idle relearn for the positive. Do know that engines with IAC's can have all kinds of idle issues after a battery disconnect but things settled down to normal reasonable quick.

I’ve had the battery disconnected several times when working on the car. It hasn’t happens right after that. It relearns and calms down to normal. Then happened sporadically a bit after it’s running fine again. But I’ll keep an eye out on that timeline moving forward.

Any trans issues such as flare-engine over rev when shifting gears, etc?
it was shifting fine except for those issues.

that is until last night. Had cel come On. Was on side roads. So wasn’t going that fast 30-40 range. But when I got on the hwy to go home, it acted up. Strange shifts then would not go into OD. Ran at 50mph at 3200 on tach. For 20 miles to get home. Scanned it and got the P0330 knock sensor 2 circuit code. So who knows of the two were connected Now I get to tear off the top of the motor again woohoo. But figure with its mileage, I’ll just replace both and the their harnesses. And the cross over pipe as long as I’m there. Thanks for the tips

Old 04-01-2023, 11:43 AM

Not sure I replied correctly to your last questions. The reply looks a bit strange. Anyway. Thx

Old 04-01-2023, 09:06 PM
Super Moderator

O/D issue might be linked to sensor issue.

Might change both and check wiring for breaks, brittle wiring, etc while you have the engine apart.

Old 04-02-2023, 12:09 AM

O/D issue might be linked to sensor issue.

Might change both and check wiring for breaks, brittle wiring, etc while you have the engine apart.

ues. Thanks. Already ordered both knock sensors and harnesses. And gaskets for all those parts and while I. There, just going to replace by pass hose. Why not. Haha. Let you know how it goes.

Quick Reply: Revs and jerks hard when put into reverse