General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

right cv axle stuck, help

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2007, 07:33 PM
CDG
Default right cv axle stuck, help

96 Camry 4cy. I'm trying to replace the right side axle, and it seems the center support bearing is stuck in the motor mount bracket. I've removed the big clip and the bolt, used wd 40 , heated it , etc, it wont move. Any suggestions. It doesnt look to easy to remove the entire motor mount since the studs through the cross member are so long. Any ideas would be great, thanks Chris

Old 08-19-2007, 07:03 AM
Default RE: right cv axle stuck, help

Common problem. About 2-3 hours of PB Blaster penetrating oil, hammering, prying, swearing should do it. It's rust so when you get it out use anti-seize on re-assembly.

Edit: Found this.
http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s...IPEWRENCH1.jpg

Old 08-20-2007, 09:09 PM
CDG

Thanks for the help. Just an update, the job is done. I held the engine up with a hoist, removed the rear motor mount, and took the axle and the iron bracket out in one piece. It was still very difficult to get the bearing out. even clamped in a vice. After heating up the bracket I was able to drive it out. Much tougher job than the left side. But once I decided to just do it this way it wasnt so bad. 4 hrs total or so.

Old 01-23-2008, 02:43 PM

It's cheaper just to buy a whole new axle...(Well from AutoZone.) Lifetime warranty.

Old 07-16-2012, 09:22 PM
Default Torch it and replace it???

Mine is also not coming apart. The worst part is, the axle is fine , I'm just replacing the worn motor mount. The axle shaft needs to be removed in order to remove the motor mount bracket. However, replacing the axle now seems likely as well.

The only way we see removing the axle is to cut it with a torch (just so I can get the mount bracket off ) and then install new.

Yeah, we've tried PB Blaster, heavy duty slide-hammer, long prybar, etc. Anyone have any new MacGyver-type solutions???

Old 07-17-2012, 08:26 AM
Super Moderator

If this is the passenger side axle have you removed the retaining bolt and large cir-clip from the carrier bearing housing? These retain the bearing.

If the bearing is rusted in carrier housing you can unbolt the bearing housing then remove the axle and housing as a unit to work on at the bench.

Or heat the housing on the car with torch as one would do to remove any stuck part.

The axle is retained by the bearing/housing only. The section of the axle inside the differential does not have clip like the drivers side.

Old 07-21-2012, 01:39 PM

Yes to all. Everything had already been removed. The bracket/engine mount does not come off with the axle on. We've been there already too. The bracket/cover plate to the engine has two studs aligning the plate in place. The plate/bracket can't pry out away from the block enough to clear the studs because the intermediate shaft is in the way. The shaft and the bracket are in each other's way. Can't take one off without removing the other first and vice-versa. Therein lies the problem.