General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Running lean

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2010, 11:45 PM
Super Moderator

You found a plugged hose?

The EGR system turns off when engine cold.

When setting timing make sure you connect the T and E1 terminals inside the "Diagnostic" box inside the engine compartment. This will bypass the computer.

The computer make is impossible to tinker with the timing. The idle timing is set via moving the distributor. After this, the computer takes over.

I think if the computer runs a test on a monitored component and it the test fails, it runs the test again. Each test has its own procedure and criteria, meaning to complete a test can take a while. This could be a pending code, if the retest fails the light may trip.

This code refers to a MAP sensor. They seldom fail.

The manual states if this code is set, the computer goes into a fail safe or limp home mode. I don't know if it does this when the code is pending or tripped.

Make sure the check engine light is working. It should go on with the ign key and go off shortly after the engine starts.

The codes states there is an open or short circuit in the MAP sensor or wiring to it.

Old 10-01-2010, 06:30 AM

yes the Check Engine light comes on and goes off when the car is started. The code only flashes when I by pass the computer with TE1 and E1, the CE light is not on anytime else.

So moving the distributor only changed timing at idle? So when the car is driving the computer takes over and adjusts timing itself, so basically this will not have an effect on my etest then. Personally I think my timing is fine, I just wanted to check it, what should the timing be at idle?

Old 10-02-2010, 12:29 AM
Super Moderator

10 degrees