General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Runs rough won't idle

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2009, 01:29 PM
Default Runs rough won't idle

I have a 93 Camry with a 5sfe engine. I just rebuit the motor and I can't get it to run smooth or idle. I have made sure the timing is right, double checked the compression(150 all cyl) new plugs, new cap and rotor old wires and the firing order is correct. All the vacuum lines appear to be correct and I'm getting good fuel. It ran smooth before the rebuild. I rebuilt it because the #1 cylinder had a bad knock. It was about to throw a rod. Any ideas?
Kenny

Old 04-03-2009, 03:28 PM

Does it run ok at speed or when in park/neutral with gas pedal pressed keeping RPMs up? Does it run rough when going down the road? Have you sprayed either WD-40 or carb cleaner around gaskets to see if RPMs increase looking for vacuum leak?

Old 04-03-2009, 04:24 PM

It will smooth out some at higher RPM's but the miss is still there. I haven't tried the WD40 trick yet but I will in the morning, I'm at work now.

Old 04-03-2009, 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by KennyCoe
old wires
Maybe bad wire? Pull one wire at a time while someone holds the rpms up just enough to keep from stalling to see if rough idle stays same or gets worse. This may tell you if it's on one cylinder and which cylinder.

Old 04-04-2009, 10:29 AM

Thanks,
I did that last weekend no joy. I have fire and fuel but I feel I am missing something simple here and can't find it .Frustrating. Today I am going to do the WD40 trick, verify the cams are correct.

Kenny

Old 04-04-2009, 03:22 PM

WD40 on the intake, vacuum lines and EGR with no change. Cylinder 2 is a dead, #3 comes and goes. I need to adjust the valves, they are a little tight, but if the they were out of adjustment enough to keep a valve from seating wouldn't my compression be less on those cylinders? Were can I get shims and the shim removal tool besides the dealer?
Kenny

Old 04-04-2009, 04:36 PM

Cylinder 2 is a dead
Dead as in not firing?

#3 comes and goes.
As in misses?

they are a little tight, but if the they were out of adjustment enough to keep a valve from seating wouldn't my compression be less on those cylinders?
It would have to be to cause the rough/miss condition. Have you got any clearance? If so I'd just find the miss/dead/run rough problem first.

Were can I get shims
The dealer should have a box full. Maybe just trade out the old for new as they are a mix and match item.

shim removal tool besides the dealer?
I'd just goggle for it. Maybe Advance Auto or Auto Zone or Pep Boys has a loaner? I've also read you can pop them out with a screwdriver. Maybe Toyomoho can help here? I'd PM him if he does not respond to this thread.

Old 04-05-2009, 02:38 PM

When I pull the #2 plug wire there is no change in the way the engine runs. When I pulled the #3 wire the 1st time the engine bogged down, when I replaced the 3rd wire and pulled it back off there was no change.. I put new wires on it this morning there is no change in the way it runs. I checked my valve clearances and my intake valves are all within specs. The exhaust valve clearances run run between .06 and .09 with the tightest being cylinders 2 & 3. The minimum for this engine is .11. I am wondering if the valves are not seating. But My compression is good on both cylinders. This is getting frustrating. I am going to do a fuel pressure check next.
Kenny

Old 04-05-2009, 02:59 PM

But My compression is good on both cylinders.
Compression does not show unseated valve(s), especially when all are the same. Rough running due to compression would have to be way worse than 150. Fuel pressure would be bigger problem under load than idle. Sticking open EGR (vacuum leak) will cause bad/rough idle even stall, but will not be noticable at speed under higher RPM. When was the last time you cleaned it? If the car sat for a long time while you rebuilt it water condensation may have built up in gas tank. Have you run through the tank yet and re-fueled? Simple causes first.

Old 04-13-2009, 03:05 PM

I added a bottle of HEET gas dry to the the tank on Saturday. No change. I still runs rough and will not stay running at idle. It goes down the road pretty good but I can tell it's still missing. Even before the HEET I was getting a difference when I pulled all the plug wires. I have the feeling I am missing something simple here something I am overlooking because I have been working on this car so much, so I am taking it to my wife's cousin to get a fresh set of eyes on the problem. I'll let you know what i find. Thanks for the help.
Kenny

Quick Reply: Runs rough won't idle