General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Same'ol 1995 Camry tail light problem

Old 08-17-2009, 11:57 PM
Default Same'ol 1995 Camry tail light problem

Dear Forum,

I am at my wits end about fixing my tail lights for my 1995 Camry Wagon V6.

*I have read all the previous posts about this subject.

The Problem: Tail lights won't work. However, the brake lights, turn signals (both front and back), license plate lights, and front head lights work fine. My tail lights are basically not turning on and then switching over to brake light intensity when I apply the brakes.

What I've done: Replaced all the bulbs in the rear including tail lights, turn signals, brake lights. I have also checked the fuse box under the hood and behind the coin tray. All the fuses look fine. I thought maybe it was the light sensor in the rear (which looked fine). But today I replaced the Light Sensor Box anyway in the back of the car behind the tire (inside panel removed).

Results: None. Still no tail lights with new sensor box and bulbs. I think maybe a correct amp fuse is not in the right place. The schematic on the coin tray does not match the fuses behind it so that is my reasoning. Anybody know where to find the exact schematic of my interior fuse box??

I would welcome any suggestions on how to fix this tail light problem.

thank you, Puff$

Old 08-18-2009, 08:57 PM
Default I possibly did not replace the Light Sensor Box

The box I replaced is black with a cord harness attached to the top. Apparently, what I need to replace is smaller and yellow in color. However, I can't find that box yet. Where might it be? And what did I accidentally replace (the black box)?

thanks

Old 08-19-2009, 06:31 AM

Not sure what you replaced. How did you get a replacment with a part number if you didn't know it was not the light sensor? Light sensor is behind rear interior panel on left side - or at least that's what it looks like in my 1995 wagon FSM.

Old 08-19-2009, 11:40 AM
Default Light Failure Sensor

I removed a black box with circuit board inside it from the driver's side, behind a rear panel, above the antenna. There is no number on the box. On the light sensor box there is a number 873???. So that is why I think I have the wrong box. I got the black box from a wagon in a salvage yard.

Old 08-19-2009, 10:56 PM
Default Well, ended up helping myself - here's what I did

OK, basically got no advice here on how to find sensor box so had to find it myself. It is not in the Haynes Manual I checked or online here. Went to another toyota forum that had a better description of the part. Every picture at that forum had a yellow box. Upon first inspection it seems that there are only two plastic cigarette size boxes available in the rear; a purple one that says its for Wipers and a black one that is attached underneath the frame near the antenna (I don't know what this is for but this is what I initially replaced.) This is what is confusing, the two plastic boxes you see are not what you need.

NEITHER BOX IS THE LIGHT FAILURE SENSOR BOX!!!

Once I knew I was looking for a YELLOW box I found it immediately even though it is not immediately apparent. In my 1995 Camry Wagon, when you open the hatch and then remove the interior panel on the driver's side behind the wheel you will see the two plastic boxes above mentioned.

NOW, LOOK FOR THE YELLOW CLIP FACING YOU!!

There will only be a yellow clip facing you because the YELLOW BOX is HIDDEN on the other side of the frame panel. From the interior drivers side rear window look down about 4 inches and you should see a yellow clip the size of a dime. Once you push that out the yellow box will fall inside the frame of the car. You will still not be able to see it. You can reach your hand behind the frame and pull it out. Mine was toasted. Now I know what to replace.

Hope this helps someone.

Old 08-20-2009, 05:28 AM

Originally Posted by puffswami
OK, basically got no advice here on how to find sensor box so had to find it myself.
Originally Posted by pedro
Light sensor is behind rear interior panel on left side
Not sure what you mean?