General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should i make the synthetic switch??

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2008, 08:01 AM
Default RE: Should i make the synthetic switch??

I use mobil 1 full synthetic in all of my cars and it think that it works better than the other brands

Old 06-20-2008, 09:42 AM

How/what many brands have you tried and how do you know M1 works the best?

Old 06-20-2008, 09:59 AM
Super Moderator

The toyota 4bangers and a lot of other 4 bangers stay fairly clean over a long period of time and do not break down the oils, so 5K intervals for 4cylinders are completely acceptable. If you're not considered a guy with a constant lead foot and spend tons of time just letting the car just sit and idle, then you can safely go that 5000K with dino oil.

The v6's are a whole other story - but i havent seen the oil quality of the 2GR-FE- my opinion is based on the 1mz and 3mz-FE engines.

Old 06-20-2008, 10:10 AM

I have not tried them all by any means. I have used Red line 10W30, Royal Purple 10W30, and AMSOIL. The Royal Purple is the best that is what I use in my e36. But for the money I like the Mobil 1 extended Performance with a K&N filter because they have the 1' nut which makes for an easy change. I have also used the TRD oil filter and I guess it works well also but it is more expensive and not as easy to change. About a 3 months ago I got the TRD clutch and TRD slip diff installed on my car and it made a huge difference. Around the same time I changed the transmission fluid to Royal Purple synchromat andit is a huge improvement over factory.

Old 06-20-2008, 01:35 PM

Done any oil analysis to prove out the gut feel?

Old 06-20-2008, 02:27 PM
Super Moderator

just use penzoil! i mean have u not seen their ad on tv and online? The driver is sooo happy!

Old 06-20-2008, 03:42 PM

I have not done any oil analysis on any of my current cars.

Old 06-21-2008, 09:10 AM

ORIGINAL: pedro

ORIGINAL: Tim224DT

The Toyota Dealer is telling me i can go 5k miles on conventional oil no problem. I find that hard to believe for many reasons.
What are the reasons? You won't be able to know what type of oil change interval you can get either with dino or synthetic unless you do oil anaysis.5k with dino is fine, but prove it with some science, not the 3k mantra drummed into our heads by our fathers or bythe oil change industry.
Have you done any oil studies on this subject yourself? I am just curious to see what you have found so far

My dad has been in the auto feild working on cars for about 35 years now. Just couple years ago he took a job at Ford because he wanted a change. But the shop he worked at for the rest of the time was one of the most advanced auto shops i have ever seen. They were able to do things on cars that only dealers could do because they had the millions in equipment to do so.

But that being said the oil change interval on the "dino" oil as you call it they would strongly suggest against going over 3k... They have seen to many new cars and old cars with problems. The dirt collection in the oil after a while will slowly increase. The cars they worked on that would stick with just 3k miles wouldnt have many problmes and the ones that would go longer would.....

The problems would not happen right away on these cars but several thousand miles down the road they would start seeing problems on these cars engines.

The only reason i posted this thread on here was to get opinions from actuall toyota drivers who have nothing but camrys about synthetic oil. Is it worth my extra money to spend and get this synthetic oil or not.

And i am sure when someone states that M1 is the best that just probably means that they bought it the first time and been using it since with no problems. I am the same way on my SaltWater Fish tanks i own. I use certain kind of salt (it is the cheapest ) but i call it the best.... Is there better out there yes but in my mind this cheaper salt is better.

Old 06-21-2008, 09:12 AM

ORIGINAL: nodrogkam

just use penzoil! i mean have u not seen their ad on tv and online? The driver is sooo happy!
I have neve noticed till now but you are right they do seem happy [8D]

Old 06-21-2008, 02:47 PM

Tim, I actually made the switch to synthetic oil a few years ago. My reasons were that I had three vehicles and wanted longer oil change intervals (OCI). I first tried Amsoil then Red Line and finally Mobil1. I do once per year oil changes with a filter and top up at six months. My yearly mileage is about 6k but I could go longer on the oil if I wished. I have done extensive oil analysis each time I switched oils and during the oil's use.There were a number of reasons I haveswitched to Mobile 1 now, not the least of which is it's easy availabilty and price. Onone vehicle that I had used Amsoil in then swithed to 0w-40 M1, the M1 produced the best oil analysis I ever had and the 0w grade stopped my start-uplash adjuster clicking. On another vehicle I usedAmsoil then switched to Red Line, lead countsare higher than I think they shouldbeso with the M1 experience I'm going to try it in this vehicle as well, probably 0w-30. On my Camry I just switched to M1 0w-40 to see how it will perform and last.I did a3k oil analysis at the 3kchange mark (owners manualrecommendation) with the 10w-30 Castrol switched to M1 and I will do another analysis at 3k on the M1 for an equal comparison. At the 6k mark I will do another with a TBA (TotalBase Number) as well to see how the oil is holding up. My plan is probably to go the 6k with a filter change at 3k.

Anyone will do fine with 3k changes on dino oil - I got 250k on a MazdaB2000 doing just that, and crappy Fram filters, but I probably could have saved myself a lot of money and time by doing oil analysis along the way.Don't forget that shops like to get their customers back as often as possible, so 3k oil changes not only gives them oil change business but alsoallows them tofind/fix other "problems" as well. Toyo has had some oil sludge problems with some vehicles/years so on those vehicles a 3k change would be best.

Once I know the OCI of an oil and like how it behaves I don't need to spend the money on analysis but maybe once per year to pick up potential problems.

Hope this helps.

Quick Reply: Should i make the synthetic switch??