General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should i make the synthetic switch??

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2008, 10:03 PM
Default RE: Should i make the synthetic switch??

I checked my log in sheets for my oil changes today. I have used Mobil 1 extended for 42k in my 2005 camry, Mobil 1 for 23k in my 2006 wrx until i sold it, and have used Royal Purple in my 1999 E36 M3 for around 45k the first owner used it also. So it was not a first time try for any of my cars. I am sure that they all work well these are the brands that I have used and liked.

Old 07-18-2008, 03:44 AM

Thank for all the input. Sorry been so long since i been on the board been crazy here with work and family members in and out of the hosp. But i think it has slowed down for now.

ok i went and got some M1 0/30 from wally world the other day then got the oil filter from toyota. Gonna do an oil change this weekend with it. The book called for 0/20 but couldnt find that in a 5 qt container only single qt and didnt want to pay an extra $15 for that! The difference in the two is going to be so minute. The reason for Toyota oil filter was so that Toyo cant say i used the wrong filter if something goes wrong under warranty.

My plans are to get about 15k miles between oil changes i plan to do this by changing the filter about 1/2 way through. I do about 1000 miles a week driving now and well this past month was more then that for the trips to the hosp a few towns over.

My previous vehichle before this Camry was a Mazda B3000 v6 talk about a GAS HOG..... i used conventional oil in that thing from day one. When the gas keeps going up (over 4/gallon here) i needed a change. In the driving i do i did some calculations it was cheaper for a car payment and gas in this car then just only gas in the truck.

Old 07-18-2008, 09:16 AM
Super Moderator

Out of curiosity how did you determine the 15K between changes figure. The 0W-20 is used for both MPG improvement and the fact the engine has tighter tolerances then earlier engine designs.

Old 07-18-2008, 10:53 AM

Toyomoho, I wondered the same thing. I tried to post a reply but site problems reared their ugly head again. I suggest if he's worried about warranty he do some oil analysis to show Toyota that 15K is doing no harm to his engine. He should do an analysis at 7500 with TBN and at 15K to prove out the OCI decision.

Old 07-18-2008, 01:12 PM
Super Moderator

Yes, as you state safer to go 7500. The best solution is not to go beyond the Toyota recommended interval. Thus for warranty issues Toyota can not claim that lack of oil changes was the problem (as they will no doubt try).

Old 07-18-2008, 01:17 PM
Super Moderator

Did read on Toyotanation one person attempted to go 25K between changes using synthetic. Made it to 40K+ before engine failure due to sludging of the oil passages. It was a new car, ouch! Owner still did not understand why this happned.

Thus think there is some real misunderstanding about the life of these oils.

Old 07-18-2008, 01:19 PM
Super Moderator

Have been posting short answers, often one liners.

The server does not seem to get as upset and reset when going this route.

Old 07-18-2008, 04:45 PM

I should have said my goal is to get this kind of millage for the driving i am doing. The determination on this number came from many different angles on the subject. Talking to many different people about the subject. The final conclusion is that it is possible for my kind of driving to get that kind of millage as long as i change the filter 1/2 through. But you better beleive i plan to keep a close eye on the oil from the time i put it in to the time i change it again and so on.

Not trying to say i am going to go 15k and not monitor the status as time progresses. That is my goal i should have said. Early morning when i posted that before i went into work for the day.

Old 07-18-2008, 07:41 PM
Super Moderator

Might look at high mileage users such as semi-trucks and train locomotives. Find out how they monitor and work with the issue of engine oil.

Old 07-18-2008, 08:19 PM

Did read on Toyotanation one person attempted to go 25K between changes using synthetic. Made it to 40K+ before engine failure due to sludging of the oil passages. Thanks for reporting this...very interesting to know.

Quick Reply: Should i make the synthetic switch??